AAMC V

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were people's score on AAMC V versus their real score? Thanks... I'd *really* appreciate the input.

Leon

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC V: V9, P>=12, B>=12
MCAT01: V11, P12, B13

I performed the ol' "skip-the-hardest-passage-and-guess-on-the-answers" trick on the verbal for the real one (in part b/c I was forced to). It definitely worked.

Good luck,

Andrew

what exactly do you mean by "skip the hard ones"? Just read through them quickly, skip the hard passages, and then randomly bubble in the answers?
Whatever you did, it worked out for you in your score, so I'm interested. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gmendese:
•what exactly do you mean by "skip the hard ones"? Just read through them quickly, skip the hard passages, and then randomly bubble in the answers?
Whatever you did, it worked out for you in your score, so I'm interested. Thanks.•

If you skip the hardest passage, you get more time on the rest of the test to concentrate on getting them right. With about 5 mins left, I skimmed the first half of that hard passage, then answered the questions, going back very quickly to get the answer. One advantage is that you answer so many questions in practice, that sometimes you can pick out the right answer without even reading the passage. I had never tried this before and never got above a 9. This time I guess I learned it works.

Andrew

AAMC V: 10V, 12P, 12B
MCAT01: 12V, 9P, 12B T

I thought the AAMC V Physical Science section was much easier than the real thing (as evidenced by my score!).

Other than that, I thought the rest of the test was a pretty good predictor.

Good luck.

Hey AJR congrats on your 11!!!!!!! You're my idol now! I,likewise, have yet to get above a nine on any practice verbals - but who knows... maybe i'll do extra well on the real thing! thanks!

So what other people got on their AAMC V?

AAMC V: 10V 10P 11B
APRIL : 11V 10P 12B

I actually thought that the AAMC V was much easier than the real deal. I suppose everyone else did too, and the "curve" helped me out. Best of luck.

I found the AAMC V much easier than the real MCAT. I scored >12 on all sections of the AAMC V, and 33 (10V,12P,11B) on the real MCAT.

Considering the thread is talking about AAMC V vs. real MCAT, I think people are trying to help the OP out. No one is bragging....get off your high horse.

I for one, was just trying to help. I'm sorry if you believe that my life needs reevaluating, but the OP asked for comparison, I gave it to him. I felt the AAMC V was a good predictor for how I did on the test. I apologize to anyone who thinks my posting my scores was bragging.

Andrew

Mossjoh,

That was the most pretentious BS I have ever read on these threads. The people who have posted their scores are the ones who are COMFORTABLE sharing their scores. Others who have read this probably scored less and cared not to tell their scores. By stating that you "did well on the MCAT but don't want to tell anyone," you are yourself bragging up a storm and really should stop. Not one of these people have said that they were DEFINITELY getting accepted, nor did anyone imply that they "had what it takes." Stop being a condescending lecturer. If you did well on the MCAT and don't like the thread, why are you here? Go to the thread:

"I DID WELL ON THE MCAT BUT CHOOSE NOT TO TELL ANYONE BECAUSE THEN I'D BE BRAGGING."

Because, clearly, anyone who wishes to share their experiences with others is just bragging, right?

Originally posted by ajr:
•I for one, was just trying to help. I'm sorry if you believe that my life needs reevaluating, but the OP asked for comparison, I gave it to him. I felt the AAMC V was a good predictor for how I did on the test. I apologize to anyone who thinks my posting my scores was bragging.

Andrew•

I second that emotion. Well put Andrew.

Never did I say that any of you were shallow. I respect all of you greatly for doing what you want to do. I know you're trying to help. I'm sorry if my message was taken the wrong way, I'm just surprised that so many people are willing so share their MCAT scores. I was just afraid that it makes those who didn't do so well feel badly.
For those who think I'm on a high horse, well, that is incorrect. There is much about me that none of you really know, or can know. I feel in some ways I'm at a disadvantage in the medical college admissions process, this reason I won't share.
I wish all of you the best of luck. I just hope that all of us as pre-meds don't loose touch of what medicine is about. Not everyone has great MCAT scores, and I hope we are careful to support those who need it. Some of the best doctors I know didn't have the greatest academic attributes, but it is their character and charisma that sets them apart. Please don't judge me unless you know me, that is unfair. I'm sorry again if I offended anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted my scores for a couple reasons. The first was because he asked. The second comes from that being my third time taking the test. My first time I had no idea what to expect. I came out with a 29. This past April was number three, and have learned much about how the test works and ways to take it. I try to provide people with the hope that they can do well too and see that it is possible to get the good scores. I think whereas most of the test is just straight knowledge, there's a percentage that requires some expertise in the whole test experience.

Andrew

Originally posted by Mossjoh:
•Never did I say that any of you were shallow. I respect all of you greatly for doing what you want to do. I know you're trying to help. I'm sorry if my message was taken the wrong way, I'm just surprised that so many people are willing so share their MCAT scores. I was just afraid that it makes those who didn't do so well feel badly.
For those who think I'm on a high horse, well, that is incorrect. There is much about me that none of you really know, or can know. I feel in some ways I'm at a disadvantage in the medical college admissions process, this reason I won't share.
I wish all of you the best of luck. I just hope that all of us as pre-meds don't loose touch of what medicine is about. Not everyone has great MCAT scores, and I hope we are careful to support those who need it. Some of the best doctors I know didn't have the greatest academic attributes, but it is their character and charisma that sets them apart. Please don't judge me unless you know me, that is unfair. I'm sorry again if I offended anyone.•

I'm thrilled to help anyone who asks me also. I assume I'll be doing a lot of assistance at school over the next year to this upcoming years juniors. I guess I got mad because I tend to hold MCAT scores sacred. I know all of your intentions are to help, and I was wrong to post that.
ajr, thanks for your reply. I wish you the best.
I guess I'm frustrated now with the whole process. This will be a hard year for us all.
With a little patience, hard work, and dedication, we will all move mountains. Its obvious by people posting on here often that we care about medicine and will work to show our future patients why we are choosing this profession.

Kreno,
My Scores on AAMC V were V-9, P-11, B-11. April MCAT V-8, P-14, B-11.
I wont comment on why/how i ended up with haphazard scores, since you're not asking about it :)

AAMC V: Verbal>12 Physical >12 Bio >12

April 2001 V-10 P-13 B-13 W-R

AAMC V: Verbal>12 Physical >12 Bio >12

April 2001 V-10 P-13 B-13 W-R

what a guy--you're my hero ajr! i'm totally pulling for you this round of applications--i want you to be my docta!

nashtrash

Originally posted by nashtrash:
•what a guy--you're my hero ajr! i'm totally pulling for you this round of applications--i want you to be my docta!

nashtrash•

Aw, thanks nash. I don't know about 'hero' - I've just had a lot of practice at this whole thing! Good luck to you!

Andrew

Thanks guys... I'm still interested in the rest of your AAMC V scores compared to your real scores. ALSO, please make sure to put how long before the real test date you took the practice test... i.e. if you took it a week before, a month before, etc.

Thanks!

Originally posted by elsupremo:
•Kreno,
My Scores on AAMC V were V-9, P-11, B-11. April MCAT V-8, P-14, B-11.
I wont comment on why/how i ended up with haphazard scores, since you're not asking about it :)

If you don't mind, could you comment on them? I'm assuming the haphazard scoers were a surprise? Any tips so I don't do the same? In any regard, a 33 is a very admirable score! Good job. Did the verbal score, do you think, have a significant impact on your application (are you still applying i guess now)? thanks

Kreno,
I was also taking Kaplan courses then, and i was scoring on an average V-9, P-10, and B-12 with P on WS.
On the morning of the test, i was seated by the doors, and these two gentle-women wanted to have a laughter-filled chat right then....needless to say it ruined my concentration....i was just thankful that my score didnt go any lower.
I didn't lose my composure though, and remember being very relaxed during the PS section, and this is the only way i can explain my unexpected score....the max i had scored on any practice tests was an 11.
Remember this: dont eat anything heavy for lunch! I decided to eat this heavy gyro in the break, and i guess it had its effects - i got a L on WS, though i don't think my ideas were THAT bad, and i was actually feeling somewhat sleepy during BS (it was kinda hard too).

Even though it may seem funny, this is true. Factors such as hardness of the test are out of control, but composure and diet (!) are in one's control, so watch out for these mistakes i made, and be prepared for unexpected horrors like that conversation that drowned my thoughts ;)
I am in this year's application cycle, so i have yet to know how doomed i am regarding my verbal and WS score :p

And btw, i took AAMC V on the thursday before the MCAT (so thats 2 nights before the real thing).