AAMC VI score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AAMC VI and score a 22, now my question is should I still take the MCAT this saturday or shoud I wait till august?

Members don't see this ad.

wander said:
I took AAMC VI and score a 22, now my question is should I still take the MCAT this saturday or shoud I wait till august?

Honestly, I would say to wait until August unless your other scores have been much higher. AAMC V and VI are pretty good indicators of how you will do on the actual test day. If you want to get into an MD, school you should probably wait until August. I am not sure about what DO schools wants scorewise but if you are interested in osteopathic medicine and would rather not take the MCAT again, you can always go for DO. How does the rest of your application look in terms of GPA and ECs? Perhaps, you need to work on a few more things and you will definitely improve for the August exam. It does not put you at a huge advantage to take it in August especially if you can do much better then. Good luck with your decision! I hope I have helped somewhat.

how have ur previous scores been? if this is just a fluke, then take it... if its near ur average, avoid it

Members don't see this ad :)
You should really wait until august. A 22 is not high enough to get in anywhere really unless you are uber-amazing in all other areas. My score on that test was a 31, and I got a 30 on the real test.

Are you applying DO? I guess that would change things... I don't know.

If you are applying DO and you have good grades then go ahead. If you are applying MD, you should definitely wait unless that 22 is an aberration.

hey thanks alot for the comments. My weakest area was the verbal, does the verbal on the AAMC practice test reflect your actual performance? I mean I have been scoring higher on Kaplan practice test but not the AAMC.

wander said:
hey thanks alot for the comments. My weakest area was the verbal, does the verbal on the AAMC practice test reflect your actual performance? I mean I have been scoring higher on Kaplan practice test but not the AAMC.

I was scoring 12's and 13's on the Kaplan Verbals and I got a 10 on the real deal. I kinda messed up on test day - I was a nervous wreck -, and I knew it, but I still think the Kaplan Verbals are a little easier. Your recent AAMC tests are the most accurate overall.

wander said:

I had a 10-11 on verbal usually and was also a nervous wreck on the test day. I had to keep my hand against my head for fear that it would start trembling. I literally skimmed everything just looking for answers...

Got a 9 though!

My verbal was consistently inconsistent. Depending on the passages they gave me, I would get anywhere between 8 and 12, even though I felt equally confident about each test right after taking it. Ended up with a 9, but I got a point higher on the BS than I normally do so it worked out ok

Verbal is very tricky. I'm told it's the hardest section to improve on. I pretty much scored 11-13s on all my practice exams but on the real thing it came out to be a 10. I'm still happy. Some of it, I would say, depend on your luck on test day. :clap:

wander said:

If this is the case, you need more verbal practice, and you need more practice with AAMC verbal materials (tests 3-5). If you have the option and feel that you have the discipline to study over the summer and improve your verbal skills, then I also would recommend waiting.

You would be insane to take the MCAT Saturday if you are averaging in the low 20's on practice tests. Unless of course, you don't think you can improve by August.

got 30 on aamc
got 31 on mcat.

wait. and figure out how to improve by august. cause the aamc 6 is supposed to be pretty good at predicting your score + or - a few points.

basically i agree w/ most people that you should wait till august, but you should also remember all the negative impacts on your application when you take mcat in august.

exmike said:
I was scoring 12's and 13's on the Kaplan Verbals and I got a 10 on the real deal. I kinda messed up on test day - I was a nervous wreck -, and I knew it, but I still think the Kaplan Verbals are a little easier. Your recent AAMC tests are the most accurate overall.

On verbal, which I thought for sure would be my weakest, I was scoring 9 and 10 on the Kaplan practice tests, but I ended up with an 11. I think it was because my test-day concentration was much higher than it could have been for any practice test. I would say that if you're getting a 22 on your practice tests, you can't really hope for more than a 25, and you should definitely wait and prepare for the August test.

ImmunoANT said:
basically i agree w/ most people that you should wait till august, but you should also remember all the negative impacts on your application when you take mcat in august.

Is your avatar an ant carrying an immunoglobulin? :confused:

for those who scores low on practice exams and is taking the MCAT for the first time this April weekend, everyone is advising NOT to take the exam???

I thought you can void the exam by the end of the day if you're not happy with your effort? Is it better to not show up then to take the exam and void it? How about taking it and retake it in August? Adcom looks down on repeats???