1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Aamc VI

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by xoomn, Aug 10, 2002.

1. xoomn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any one taken AAMC VI yet? What did you guyz think. I personally just got done with it and I'd say it had a tough verbal and a few things that I did not know in PS. I also had some trouble with few BS problems since I had never seen such things. I'll have to wait for the score and see. ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jd star

jd star Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm taking VI tomorrow.... i'll let you know how i do :)

4. The second to last verbal passage is killer. It was about formalist critics. Can't tell you much more about it. Just so happens that it also has the most questions :mad:

The one on the invisible hand was pretty bad as well.

5. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I just got done taking the AAMC VI also and I graded it and all I can say is I am quite dissapointed. I thought the verbal sections was very tough. I did really well on the first 4 passages and then after that I just lost my concentration....ended up with a 7 on it :rolleyes: I got a 9 in physics and an 8 in Bio. It sucks cause I got a 32 on AAMC V so now I have no idea where I stand. I am going to take AAMC IV in a couple of days so hopefully I can get that 32 again!!

6. phatty925

phatty925 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i just finished aamc 6 and don't know what to think either...
    i got a 33 on aamc 4, 28 on aamc 5, and then a 29 today (11, 9,9)
    it would suck if i missed the 30 mark by one point on the real thing!
    any suggestions as to how i can improve within the next WEEK? (yikes, can't believe it's in a week..)

7. shreebee

shreebee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I felt the same way about this test as you guys. On the Princeton Review practice tests, I've been scoring in the 29-34 range. On AMCAS IV, I scored 10-11 V, 10-11P, and 10-11B. On AMCAS V, I scored 11V, >/= 12P, 11B. But I just took AMCAS VI a few days ago and I scored 7V, 9P, 10B. I got frantic at the end of the verbal and didnt finish. On top of that, I am so studied out and haven't been doing much for the past week. I'm hoping a little break from the material is a good thing.

8. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah i'm lost too..........on aamc v i got 11, 13, 13........and on aamc VI i got 7, 13, 12..........was the verbal harder, or did we just do bad?

nero

9. I to A

I to A Member
    7+ Year Member

Nero,

How did you know it was a 12 or a 13 in the sciences. The online version of the test VI just gives 12 and above.

10. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

does anyone know which AAMC test is the most accurate? my total scores aren't even close on any of them, is it just me, or the tests?

11. jd star

jd star Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

danwsu -- i totally agree with you on the verbal section on VI. i just finished the test today and the verbal section hurt my head a lot. the stupid "invisible hand" one drove me nuts! anyway, i got through it okay...

i scored relatively the same on IV, V, and VI.... when i took the MCAT in April, my score was 2 points higher than what i got on IV and V. i did a little better on VI today so hopefully my score on Saturday will reflect that.

good luck everyone :)

12. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've heard thet AMCAS V is similar to the real deal. However I've also read a quote by an AMCAS MCAT test maker that the test has been "suprisingly consistant" since 1995.

I was also pretty dissapointed with my VI score. I went back over the questions I got wrong and tried to figure out the right answer before seeing which was correct and I "should have" had 10 of them right.

The key, at least for me, is to SLOOOW down when reading the question and making sure I know exactly what it's asking and wants. On Saturday I just need to CHILL!

13. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

same here, if i'm relaxed on saturday and actually read the whole question stem, i should be ok, otherwise.....i'm in trouble

14. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I used kaplan's online conversion chart............i dont' think they are exact, but its a pretty good estimate...............

nero

15. Lavndrrose

Lavndrrose Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do you guys think PS was kinda too easy to be true? I usually have trouble with this section, but found the PS section in VI to be pretty straight forward.

16. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child
    10+ Year Member

I know what you mean!

For example, as I was reading your quote, I misinterpreted it as "surprisingly constant" rather than "surprisingly consistant".

This actually happened to me today on a verbal practice test, the answer was in the passage verbatim, the answer was "barroom". The answer choices had "bathroom" & "barroom". Needless to say, I got this one wrong :laugh:

Got to learn how to stay chill.

17. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

that's so funny, the bathroom/barrom thing happened to me too, and a couple of my friends.
    i'm actually going through the exam, and i could have gotten at least five PS questions right if i hadn't zoned out

18. Mr. Z

Mr. Z Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've been having the same problem. Sometimes i'll skim over the stem so quickly i end answering some imaginary question that bears only a faint resemblance to the original question.

To avoid this, i'm now trying to force myself to actively read the question stems by making sure to underline the key words in the stems. This forces me to slow down and actually read the damn things.

19. twesting2173

twesting2173 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

can someone taking the PR share with us how to access the answer key for AAMC VI online? thanks, and good luck to eveyone this saturday.

20. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i would love to have the answers to aamc VI online. kaplan only provides the answers to I - III online.

21. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

The first five passages seemed WAY too easy. After that, the test seemed pretty much on par with other AAMC exams.

Where are you at in Cali?

22. Lavndrrose

Lavndrrose Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Southern Cali...

23. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For what it's worth, I took AAMC VI the week before my april mcat and got the same score, same breakdown.

But keep in mind alot of factors influence your score on test day besides adequate prep I had a great tesing room, great proctor..could not have gone more smoothly...

-bonnie.