AAMC will do anything to make a buck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyEyesMesmerize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received in the mail today an envelope from the MCAT people. I thought by some miracle they had the scores done. lol Only to find out I can see my scores online around june 7th. I was like cool, until I saw you gotta pay $15 for the service. Jeeze these people are ridiculous. Like $180 wasn't enough. They're my freakin grades just show em to me. lol I just needed to vent cuz they are outrageous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
•••quote:••• lol Only to find out I can see my scores online around june 7th. I was like cool, until I saw you gotta pay $15 for the service ••••I didn't know AAMC had an online score service! It sux to pay for it, but honestly, I'm surprised it only costs 15 bucks instead of 50 :D

In any case, this is definitely a GOOD thing, because a lot of people (like me) were planning on waiting until MCATs were in (june 20th or later more likely) to submit, so that we could choose our schools according to scores. This way, we can find out our scores and still submit at the earliest time possible.

wait wait wait wait, are you saying that AAMC will have finished scoring all the tests by june 7th, but won't send them out to us until 2 weeks afterwards? meanwhile, we're out here sweating, worrying, and stressing? b4, i just thought they were incompetent for taking so long to score those tests, now i'm starting to believe that they are just evil~!

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by bentz:
•is this for real?•••••yes.

I almost had a heartattack when I first saw the envelope....I thought it was my scores. They should have put "does not contain score reports" on the envelope so that all of us anxious people wouldn't be so nervous upon seeing it. Argh!

I wonder how many people are going to go for this option?

$15 is NO big deal. I paid a total of $6,500 in the application process. If it will let you apply earlier than normal, go for it. I don't see the need to complain. The SATs do the same thing. It's a business. :D

Unfortunately, our 15 buck donations will not affect when AMCAS will be sending our official scores to the schools :( . They just got me all excited over nothing.

$15 is not that much but it is so annoying that they have your scores earlier but make you pay to see them. We pay a lot of money to take the test but what are you going to do; they have the monopoly.

argh! I just got an email from my mom that she got something "official looking" in the mail from the "MCAT people" and I too thought it might be my scores! She opened it and told me over the phone - it was disappointing, to say the least!

have they given this option in previous years, or is this the first year they have done this. I guess it would be worth it, if you can get your application in a lot sooner, right?

I have searched the AAMC MCAT website and have found nothing detailing this early score reporting. Could someone point me to it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, give AAMC a break... I am sooooo happy they are doing this... hell,. I'd probably pay up to $40 to get my scores on June 7th... that's about 2 weeks early!! And the best part...no checking your mail every day for a week hoping your scores will ahve arrived... we know exactly what day we are going to have them!!

I think this is great... and $15 is veyr reasonable!

Now the $30 a school they charge for the AMCAS... that's kinda steep.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by isidella:
•I have searched the AAMC MCAT website and have found nothing detailing this early score reporting. Could someone point me to it? Thanks.•••••I couldn't find it on the website either... I just got a lette rin the mail... like everyone else. I hope this isn't a hox.

they had something on their website ( a little blurb) for abouta day ... but then the took it down and i see no sign of it. they must have been bombarded with questions or something. game is still on.

has anyone not gotten a letter because i haven't.

btw if anyone can see my profile pic let me know because im trying to get it to come up, thanks.

Good luck to all!

This reminds me of going onto the net to check my grades at the end of every semester. I just hate it when you click on the "Grades" button of the student service website and the damn thing takes 5 minutes to load. I hope you guys don't have a heart attack on the 7th!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sng33:
•Do the schools get it sooner as well?•••••No the letter specifically says that it will not make a difference.

psyc.lover, I got the letter on Saturday and I can't load your picture.

The letter also said that they will begin mailing the score reports on June 7th. I wonder why we are told to expect our mailed reports almost 2 weeks later. Does such a bulk mail process take this long, or will most reports be mailed after this date?

looks like AAMC shot themselves in the foot with the AMCAS delay. a few people have mentioned that they'd use the "service" to decide which schools to apply to before sending off the primaries. now that it's been delayed, the number will probably go down. poor AAMC, now they can only upgrade to a 486 PC with a 2400 baud modem instead of a pentium pro with 14.4K. boohoo.

SF: LOL! I thought they were just being nice... but now I'm starting to think they're just stupid! That poor company... they just can't win.

I must be the only person who is not going to waste my money in 2 days. I've waited this long, I can sure as heck wait another week. Besides the 15 bucks is only going to add insult to injury for a lot of folks. Remember half of us did worse than average. I would rather live in a hopeful ignorance. :p

It is kinda funny how things work. You get all excited about something and then the fine print comes in and the offer doesn't sound so good any more. The $15 isn't so bad yet after going through the grueling process with the huge sum of money you are going to have to pay back after Medical school, every penny counts. Patience just seems to run out.