AAMC11: structure question of NO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...I understand N is 5 and O is 6, for total of 11, but is it allowed to exist as a radical portrayed by the answer choice? I was like...O is more electronegative, yeah, but how is a radical possible?

Members don't see this ad.

So...I understand N is 5 and O is 6, for total of 11, but is it allowed to exist as a radical portrayed by the answer choice? I was like...O is more electronegative, yeah, but how is a radical possible?

What other choice is there besides a radical? Oxygen only forms two bonds and nitrogen has an odd valence.

6590m1.png

Ok, I get the number of electrons part, but how does N NOT violate the octet rule when it clearly does? Ugh, I'm a chem tutor and I don't remember encountering a radical lewis structure like this one too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I get the number of electrons part, but how does N NOT violate the octet rule when it clearly does? Ugh, I'm a chem tutor and I don't remember encountering a radical lewis structure like this one too.

BINGO! I chose the same answer you did too.

A,B,and C all have 10 valence electrons, therfore they can not be correct, no matter how pretty they look.