Aamcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, can I start my application and not apply? Will it carry over to future application cycles? Or are they only good for one year?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can fill out an application in AMCAS 2009 and not submit it (you wouldn't be able to since the deadline has passed at every school anyway).

However, the information will not be carried over to next year unless the application is submitted. So you'd just have to type it all in again. It might be a good idea to log into AMCAS to see what the application system is like, but I wouldn't recommend completely filling it out since the information will just be lost anyway.

Just wondering, can I start my application and not apply? Will it carry over to future application cycles? Or are they only good for one year?
This is exactly what I asked AMCAS. They said that as long as you don't submit an application, you will not be considered a reapplicant at a later cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do submit something say in two years... will they keep on file all my LORs, GPA calculations, PS, MCAT and everything?
I am not sure about that, but Chad above says that if you don't submit it, it won't be saved. You can send an e-mail to AMCAS to verify this, if you want. If you do, come back and post your answer here.

It definitely doesn't carry over to the next year.

I'd start writing my PS, ECs and perhaps misdemeanors you may have accumulated... in the format of the current year. It will be the same next year. Then it will be much QUICKER next year... just remember to NOT CUT AND PASTE...

I'd start writing my PS, ECs and perhaps misdemeanors you may have accumulated... in the format of the current year. It will be the same next year. Then it will be much QUICKER next year... just remember to NOT CUT AND PASTE...

Lol, already started writing my PS but won't have it done for awhile since I'll be applying the cycle after the next two for entrance in the fall of 2012.

wow people ... i think it's a bit too early. no wonder i don't have pre-med friends ... yeah write your personal statement (i didn't write mine until june) but don't fill out the application ... seriously!

I'll be applying for Fall 2011, so haven't filled out AMCAS yet, my question is why not "cut and paste". If one types out their PS on microsoft word, should they re-type it on the AMCAS application? Just haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know. I suspect I'll start working on my PS in my junior year over the holidays, but dunno for sure.

I'll be applying for Fall 2011, so haven't filled out AMCAS yet, my question is why not "cut and paste". If one types out their PS on microsoft word, should they re-type it on the AMCAS application?

Yup, a lot of the formatting gets messed up if you try to cut and paste, so it's better to make sure and type it in manually.

I'll be applying for Fall 2011, so haven't filled out AMCAS yet, my question is why not "cut and paste". If one types out their PS on microsoft word, should they re-type it on the AMCAS application? Just haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know. I suspect I'll start working on my PS in my junior year over the holidays, but dunno for sure.

:eek:

Oh gosh, bluesmd, sorry>> why did I get the :eek: look??
Just thinking ahead.