DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
www.garyseeba.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dear Colleagues:

On February 22, I wrote to advise you about the "AMA Scope of Practice Data Series: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons," an advocacy publication prepared by the American Medical Association that questions the education, training and skills of oral and maxillofacial surgeons and the validity of the specialty's scope of practice.

I now wish to bring you up to date on our recent activities. As I indicated in my previous letter, your AAOMS Board of Trustees invited the AMA leadership to meet and discuss our concerns in greater detail. I am pleased to tell you that the AMA has accepted our invitation and the meeting is scheduled for May 13 at the AAOMS headquarters. This meeting will be between the highest ranking officials of both the AAOMS and the AMA.

It is our sincere hope that as a result of our discussions the AMA will gain a better understanding and appreciation for the training and skills of oral and maxillofacial surgeons. However, the AAOMS is prepared to take all appropriate measures to protect and defend the specialty's education, training and accreditation processes, and the full scope of OMS practice. You can be assured that the AAOMS has a multi-faceted and vigorous strategic plan in place to deal with this issue.

A copy of the "AMA Scope of Practice Data Series: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons," is available for your viewing on aaoms.org. I wish to thank you for the strong support you have expressed on this subject, and we will continue to keep you informed in the weeks ahead.

SC-Z

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dear Colleagues:

On February 22, I wrote to advise you about the "AMA Scope of Practice Data Series: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons," an advocacy publication prepared by the American Medical Association that questions the education, training and skills of oral and maxillofacial surgeons and the validity of the specialty's scope of practice.

I now wish to bring you up to date on our recent activities. As I indicated in my previous letter, your AAOMS Board of Trustees invited the AMA leadership to meet and discuss our concerns in greater detail. I am pleased to tell you that the AMA has accepted our invitation and the meeting is scheduled for May 13 at the AAOMS headquarters. This meeting will be between the highest ranking officials of both the AAOMS and the AMA.

It is our sincere hope that as a result of our discussions the AMA will gain a better understanding and appreciation for the training and skills of oral and maxillofacial surgeons. However, the AAOMS is prepared to take all appropriate measures to protect and defend the specialty's education, training and accreditation processes, and the full scope of OMS practice. You can be assured that the AAOMS has a multi-faceted and vigorous strategic plan in place to deal with this issue.

A copy of the "AMA Scope of Practice Data Series: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons," is available for your viewing on aaoms.org. I wish to thank you for the strong support you have expressed on this subject, and we will continue to keep you informed in the weeks ahead.
I say lock the doors behind them and have the Hall Drill laid out on the table. :smuggrin: