• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

AAOS declares Vertebroplasty ineffective!

About the Ads

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2002
  1. Attending Physician
    i have had quite a few patients in my office in tears, dyspneic because of their pain, not responding to opioids... - i am convinced that a v-plasty is what they really need.... however, by the time i get them scheduled for a v-plasty their pain is usually already better....

i am starting to believe that waiting 3-6 weeks is just as effective if not more than v-plasty.... on the other hand, the patient ain't too happy about those 3-6 weeks

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Apr 16, 2006
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      i have had quite a few patients in my office in tears, dyspneic because of their pain, not responding to opioids... - i am convinced that a v-plasty is what they really need.... however, by the time i get them scheduled for a v-plasty their pain is usually already better....

i am starting to believe that waiting 3-6 weeks is just as effective if not more than v-plasty.... on the other hand, the patient ain't too happy about those 3-6 weeks

But you could make that claim for some special cases of back pain too. Just wait 6 months....Problem is most people cant wait that long and want to get back on their feet.

Just look at any one of us on here. I'd venture to say that given the profession we are in, we are all 'high functioning' and highly motivated people. If we had to sit out for 6 weeks-6months, I dont think our professional lives would allow for that.

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
      Jul 13, 2008
      1. Attending Physician
        so what about KYPHOplasty...

what is the AAbOneheadS view of Kyphos...does it not work either, and they should not do it.

Interesting, these articles are all about vertebroplasty. And most surgeons do Kyphos...

will they stop that too?

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 12, 2002
        1. Attending Physician
          most of the 87 year olds who have compression fractures are hardly "high-functioning"... they spend most of their day sitting in a chair/recliner, playing bingo or watching TV...

and yes, most patients do fine with time --- one of the problems with "injectionists" or "fellows" or "young, highly-functioning patients" is that everything needs to be treated with a procedure right away... that is the beauty of PT... not because PT does much, but rather, because most people get better with time, but at least they feel like something is being done...

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
          Jul 13, 2008
          1. Attending Physician
            I would say on averageMost of my patients at end up getting a vertebroplasty wait at least 3-4 weeks prior to having it done. Many that I think will actually need it, get better and many think will get better actually end up getting the procedure. I usually do either an ESI or more likely facet injections prior to the vertebral augmentation.

I will say this,my volume has significantly dropped for this...

lobelsteve

Staff member
            Volunteer Staff
            Lifetime Donor
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            May 30, 2005
            Canton GA
            www.stevenlobel.com
            1. Attending Physician
              most of the 87 year olds who have compression fractures are hardly "high-functioning"... they spend most of their day sitting in a chair/recliner, playing bingo or watching TV...

and yes, most patients do fine with time --- one of the problems with "injectionists" or "fellows" or "young, highly-functioning patients" is that everything needs to be treated with a procedure right away... that is the beauty of PT... not because PT does much, but rather, because most people get better with time, but at least they feel like something is being done...

Let me fracture your T12 and see how well you do playing bingo. We are not the ones to determine the daily activities. We are here to allow them to do theirs with less pain. Tsk tsk.

About the Ads

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
              Apr 23, 2007
              1. Attending Physician
                Let me fracture your T12 and see how well you do playing bingo. We are not the ones to determine the daily activities. We are here to allow them to do theirs with less pain. Tsk tsk.

playing the devil's advocate here, but do you really have that strong of a case? so, the little old lady needs to be in pain for a few weeks. i dont like it any more than you do, but if they get to the same place, what is truly the harm? these patients are largely medicare, and the payment for the procedure is pretty high. this is exactly the type of procedure that patients should be allowed to pay out of pocket for, rather than use taxpayer dollars. if you take yourself out of the sphere of pain medicine and look at it logically, its not that cut and dried.

i suppose the same thing can be said for any injection we do, but nevertheless.....

lobelsteve

Staff member
                Volunteer Staff
                Lifetime Donor
                Verified Expert
                15+ Year Member
                May 30, 2005
                Canton GA
                www.stevenlobel.com
                1. Attending Physician
                  playing the devil's advocate here, but do you really have that strong of a case? so, the little old lady needs to be in pain for a few weeks. i dont like it any more than you do, but if they get to the same place, what is truly the harm? these patients are largely medicare, and the payment for the procedure is pretty high. this is exactly the type of procedure that patients should be allowed to pay out of pocket for, rather than use taxpayer dollars. if you take yourself out of the sphere of pain medicine and look at it logically, its not that cut and dried.

i suppose the same thing can be said for any injection we do, but nevertheless.....

That;s why I do it this way:

1. Bracing
                  2. Dilaudid 2mg tid prn for 3 weeks then re-eval, Miacalcin NS bid
                  3. If no better 6-8 weeks post-fracture, offer Vertebroplasty
                  4. MBB for those who cannot come off anticoagulation.

I see primarily Medicare patients, and I have implanted a90 y/o patient so she could continue golfing.

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Jun 12, 2002
                  1. Attending Physician
                    lobel - your last post completely went against the point you made initially....

treating compression fractures the old fashioned way with bracing, analgesics and time is just as effective a v-plasty in my experience (not as satisfying though)... and considering MOST patients get better with time, i think conservative care is appropriate

based on your initial argument, maybe all disc herniations should be treated with immediate surgical discectomy??? i don't think so...

lobelsteve

Staff member
                    Volunteer Staff
                    Lifetime Donor
                    Verified Expert
                    15+ Year Member
                    May 30, 2005
                    Canton GA
                    www.stevenlobel.com
                    1. Attending Physician
                      lobel - your last post completely went against the point you made initially....

treating compression fractures the old fashioned way with bracing, analgesics and time is just as effective a v-plasty in my experience (not as satisfying though)... and considering MOST patients get better with time, i think conservative care is appropriate

based on your initial argument, maybe all disc herniations should be treated with immediate surgical discectomy??? i don't think so...

10% of my conservative care fractures get better and the rest get cemented.
                      I don't let them wait it out for 3 months. If not improving a lot by 6 weeks, they are cemented at 8 weeks. If cannot tolerate pain meds or pain severe enough to warrant an ER visit after I see them, we go to the cement mixer.
                      Conservative care is warranted whenever a progressive or severe neurologic compromise is not present. Failure of conservative care is always a judgment call.

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Jun 12, 2002
                      1. Attending Physician
                        my rule is: if you can sit in a chair, or walk to the bathroom, with minimal assistance, on pain meds, then NO v-plasty

if you can't sit upright, if you can't transfer out of bed, despite optimal drug management and a few days, it's a go for v-plasty...

so far, in my experience, less than 20% end up getting v-plasty

lobelsteve

Staff member
                        Volunteer Staff
                        Lifetime Donor
                        Verified Expert
                        15+ Year Member
                        May 30, 2005
                        Canton GA
                        www.stevenlobel.com
                        1. Attending Physician
                          my rule is: if you can sit in a chair, or walk to the bathroom, with minimal assistance, on pain meds, then NO v-plasty

if you can't sit upright, if you can't transfer out of bed, despite optimal drug management and a few days, it's a go for v-plasty...

so far, in my experience, less than 20% end up getting v-plasty

I will go for plasty if their golf score suffers due to fx pain. ;)

If they need assist for ADL's- I'll plasty. If pain 7+/10, I'll plasty- if taking meds, not off meds.

clubdeac

10+ Year Member
                          Aug 16, 2007
                          1. Attending Physician

What's the harm in waiting it out? Well let me see, prolonged bedrest leads to...

- Deep venous thrombosis/PE
                            - Worsening of osteoporosis
                            - Increased mortality
                            Cardiovascular effects
                            * Progressive loss of fluid, primarily from the extracellular space
                            * Intravascular volume preferentially distributed in the upper body
                            * Orthostatic hypotension which may take weeks to correct
                            * Fall in stroke volume and cardiac output
                            * Increase in resting and submaximal heart rate
                            Musculoskeletal effects
                            * Loss of contractile force
                            * Shortening of muscle fibers and total muscle length
                            * Increase in calcium loss from the bone
                            - Increased risks of falls and subsequent fractures
                            Urinary tract effects
                            * Stagnation in calyces
                            * Incomplete bladder emptying
                            Pulmonary effects
                            * Cilia less effective
                            * Mucous pools
                            * Chest movement restricted in a supine position
                            Gastrointestinal effects
                            * Loss of appetite
                            * Decreased peristalsis
                            - Constipation
                            - Bowel obstruction
                            Skin effects
                            * Pressure ulcers
                            Psychological effects
                            * Anxiety
                            * Depression
                            * Disorientation
                            * Fostered dependency/learned helplessness

At least that's what Jensen and other proponents of Vplasty would say :D

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
                            Jul 13, 2008
                            1. Attending Physician
                              If vertebroplasty is not effective, then neither is kyphoplasty. Hopefully the new studies that are coming out will poke holes in the AAOS position but for now perhaps their stance may mean more pain docs doing plasties :)

this is is my point, if vertebro is ineffective then so is kypho, but have you noticed none of the AAOS or other opponents ever say kyphoplasty?

KmB247

Intercooled 10.0
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Aug 4, 2004
                              Chicago
                              1. Other Health Professions Student

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
                                Jul 13, 2008
                                1. Attending Physician
                                  i just read this study and the comparison and their "logic" for their support of kyphoplasty and not vertebroplasty...

its silly. if it comes to it... ill just use one of those silly "cavity creation" devices and do a "kyphoplasty"...

clearly there is no difference between the procedures except that vertebroplasty actually works better in my mind...

About the Ads
                                  This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                  7. This thread is locked.