ABA MOCA requirements changed again? 3 times to take test or lose certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneftp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in year 5 of my ABA MOCA. My certificate expires on December 31st 2015.

I'm always on top of things. I just did the PPAI (which is basically an audit where the ABA sends a fax to your chair or 3 other colleagues if you are out in independent practice) and they verify that you've been working.

Now I am essentially down to 2 more requirements (submit a case evaluation or attend a case simulation course and pass the written exams) before I can get re certified. I'm almost done with my 350 CME credits (have 324 CME credits since 2005). I've rather just get it over now and get the clock rolling again for 2016-2016.

So I look over the ABA website and in it has "2010 MOCA updates).

http://www.theaba.org/pdf/2010_MOCA_Updates.pdf

"(1) Time-limited certificate holders who fail to meet the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA) program requirements by the expiration of their most recent primary or MOCA certificate will have their certification status changed to "expired". In order to regain their certification status of "diplomate", they must complete all of the MOCA program requirements within the preceding 10 years:
a. The ABA will move their 10-year MOCA cycle forward one year. Any activities that were com- pleted in the original year 1 (i.e. CME) are removed and they are required to redo those ac- tivities.
b. Upon successful completion of all of the MOCA program requirements (which are defined by their original MOCA cycle), the ABA will issue that physician a MOCA certificate valid for 10 years from the date of completion of the program.
c. If the physician fails to complete the requirements within a year after the expiration of their cer- tificate, then their MOCA cycle moves forward another year and they lose the activities that were completed in year 1.
d. The ABA will move a MOCA cycle forward, a year at a time, for up to three years.
(2) For former diplomates, who do not complete the MOCA program requirements within three years of the expiration of their most recent primary or MOCA certificate, to reestablish their status as an ABA diplomate, they must complete the following three steps:
a. Reestablish their qualifications for admission to the examination system (see Section 2.04.F) b. Apply to the ABA for primary certification within three years of having reestablished their qualifica-
tions for admission to examination. c. Pass the Part 1 and Part 2 examinations under the new application.
If the candidate does not successfully complete the requirements for primary certification, their application will be declared void. They may submit a second application for primary certification. If the second application is subsequently declared void, then they must re- establish their qualifications for admission to the examination system"

So it looks like the ABA has changed it's MOCA. Previously it was assumed you can re-take the written exams as many times (although you have to pay those $1000-2000 testing fees) over again. They just move your previously accumulated credits back each year (so year 1 goes off, and you are on year 2-11 cycle).

So if you fail the written 3 times in your MOCA, than you are way back to part 1 of the ABA original written exams?

Does that sound right?

Or are people like me "grandfathered" since my certificate was issued in 2005. Do we all get only 3 chances on the written exam with the MOCA or is it just for those who were certified in 2010?

Note people who were issued certificates in 2000-2003 only need to take the written exams. They did not need to take a case simulator or submit a case review. Those who were certified in 2004-2007 can choose between case simulator or submit a case review. Those 2008-current have to take BOTH case simulator and case rview.

I am always paranoid about these things. Never failed a test in my entire life. But I always like to know the rules of the game. With the ABA, they keep on changing the rules with this recertification. It's like they wake up each year and decide, "lets change it so you can't claim more than 70 CME's in one year like they did in 2006 or 2007"

Members don't see this ad.

So over 100 reads on this topic and no one knows the answer? I tried calling the ABA this morning but that person didn't know the "grandfather" issue either. She said it's something new they just updated.

So the ABA doesn't even know it's ownpolicies? It's like they are just making this up as they go since no ones with a time limited certificate has ever lost their certification by failing the written examination three times or more.

So over 100 reads on this topic and no one knows the answer? I tried calling the ABA this morning but that person didn't know the "grandfather" issue either. She said it's something new they just updated.

So the ABA doesn't even know it's ownpolicies? It's like they are just making this up as they go since no ones with a time limited certificate has ever lost their certification by failing the written examination three times or more.

I don't see, in what you've posted, where it says fail the test three times and you have to start over. All it says is you have to renew within 3 years of expiration. It seems to me you can still take it multiple times. You just have to pass before that 3 year post-expiration mark is up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see, in what you've posted, where it says fail the test three times and you have to start over. All it says is you have to renew within 3 years of expiration. It seems to me you can still take it multiple times. You just have to pass before that 3 year post-expiration mark is up.

It says it right there, For former diplomates, who do not complete the MOCA program requirements within three years of the expiration of their most recent primary or MOCA certificate, to reestablish their status as an ABA diplomate, they must complete the following three steps:
a. Reestablish their qualifications for admission to the examination system (see Section 2.04.F).

That means you have to re take the original Part 1 written exams. reestablish their qualifications means retaking Part 1 written exams. They consider you a "former diplomates" if your certificate expires.

I know I am being a little paranoid since I'm not due to expire for 5 plus years but it always good to be on top of things.

It says it right there, For former diplomates, who do not complete the MOCA program requirements within three years of the expiration of their most recent primary or MOCA certificate, to reestablish their status as an ABA diplomate, they must complete the following three steps:
a. Reestablish their qualifications for admission to the examination system (see Section 2.04.F).

That means you have to re take the original Part 1 written exams. reestablish their qualifications means retaking Part 1 written exams. They consider you a "former diplomates" if your certificate expires.

I know I am being a little paranoid since I'm not due to expire for 5 plus years but it always good to be on top of things.

OK, so we seem to be on the same page. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it. You can take the exam quite a while before you expire. So the way I see it you get the attempts while you are still certified + for attempts during the 3 year grace period after you expire.

OK, so we seem to be on the same page. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it. You can take the exam quite a while before you expire. So the way I see it you get the attempts while you are still certified + for attempts during the 3 year grace period after you expire.

Yes, I think we are in agreement here.

But my point was the ABA just made these "new MOCA update 2010 changes" within the past 40 days.

Before they were very vague about how many times you can take the written exams (for recertification).

Now they finally clarified the written exams.

But what does that do for those certified in the year 2000 and 2001 and 2002. Most of them have been eligible to take the written exams since 2008/2009.

This is a brand new update for 2010 MOCA year. How does the ABA handle those originally certified in those early years (2000-2002)? How does the ABA handle those certified in years 2003-2009?

That's my point. As a governing body, the ABA can't "screw" with people who've been have time-limited certificates in years 2000-2009 because this 2010 did not reflect the year they received their certificates.

Look at 2000-2003 (they did not have to take the case simulators or case review). But years 2003-2007 have to do one of those. And years 2008-current have to take BOTH the simulator and case review.

So the ABA "grandfathered" the requirements for the earlier time-limited certificate. Like I said, I just called the ABA and the woman didn't have any answer for "grandfathered time limited certificates" prior to 2010.

It appears to me, that you should be grandfathered and can take the written exams as many times as you want.

I know I am being anal here. I am not even eligible to take the written exam until 2012 at the earliest (so technically I should have 7 attempts). Hopefully it won't take me 7 attempts:)

But the issue is about fairness and the grandfathering of ABA bylaws. I don't think they will impose this limit on those entering the MOCA prior to 2010.

I got my cert in April 2009. The link makes it seem like credits from ACE/SEE and patient safety modules are for 2010 onwards, but they are showing up on my portal screen as requirements. That's why I signed up for ACE.

So don't assume anything about being grandfathered. Is there anyone at the ABA you can email. Perhaps you just ran into a clueless person on the phone.

If you pursue this further, let me know. I'd be curious.

My understanding was that the rules that applied to your MOCA experience were the ones in place when you entered your MOCA cycle. So, in other words, my MOCA requirements will not be the same as yours because I started the process several years before you. For instance, my requirements do not require the case study BS. However, once my "new" cycle starts, I suspect I will have the same new requirements that a fresh graduate just beginning MOCA for the first time will have. I suspect that new graduates in a few years will have a simulation component as part of their requirement, such as taking a sim course at an ABA approved simulation center (this may already be in the works...I have heard rumors). My hope is that it is not a simulation exam where you have to go through a rigid and difficult sim exam in order to advance in MOCA.
With regards to the exam, I suspect they put some time limit on it so that someone would not use the loophole of being in the recert process in perpetuity, though they continually fail the exam. This may be something mandated by the ABMS, as the restructuring of the recert test was(ie doing away with the option of eliminating up to 50 questions).

Just logged in and noticed the change. Not sure what it means just yet.

I don't think the ABA knows the answers either for those certifed before 2010.

I assume the ABA is busy this week with the Oral boards taking place.

I will try to give them a call back next week for further clarification.