ABA Pain Boards 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppatel1185

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taking pain boards this year? Anyone have tips on Qbanks/books? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It was the least relevant test to any clinical practice I’ve ever taken. I used the asipp books. C plus at best

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Debating between using Board Vitals and Pass Machine myself...
Seemed like 12 years ago it was A lot of pregnant patients on opioids. Just what zero of my patients have been for the past 12 years

Reactions: 1 users
Board vitals #1 resource. Followed by Huntoon Pain Board Review (question book). If time, "Pain Exam" qbank as third resource. Honestly, board vitals was enough. Lots of common sense/"give me" questions sprinkled with difficult psychology/psychiatry questions.

I did BV almost twice, PB one round. I found it one of the hardest exams ever taken. some straightforward questions plus lots of vague ones. Psych and research questions were hard or I had not updated my knowledge, same for peds. Even routine interventional and adult pain questions not easy unless you are a master of guessing. The bummer is I don't even know what would I do differently.

I also thought it was very difficult. I did well on the pain ITE this past year but felt that the actual board exam was tough and hope I passed. The frustrating thing is that I couldn’t do my Anesthesiology oral boards in May due to the pandemic and they won’t even tell me if I passed or failed the pain board exam until I take my oral boards...which the ABA hasn’t given me any set date on right now other than “2021.”

I wonder if enough of us complain to the ABA they will at least let those of us still waiting to take the oral boards know the results of our pain boards....

Members don't see this ad :)
I also thought it was very difficult. I did well on the pain ITE this past year but felt that the actual board exam was tough and hope I passed. The frustrating thing is that I couldn’t do my Anesthesiology oral boards in May due to the pandemic and they won’t even tell me if I passed or failed the pain board exam until I take my oral boards...which the ABA hasn’t given me any set date on right now other than “2021.”

I wonder if enough of us complain to the ABA they will at least let those of us still waiting to take the oral boards know the results of our pain boards....
That's really frustrating. Im surprised they let you take the boards before passing oral boards - I thought they didn't do that. But yes, I agree that they should tell you if you passed or not this year. Perhaps, if you call them twice a day, maybe TID every day; they will get sick of you and tell you!

You are exactly right; they usually don't let one take the pain boards without passing the anesthesiology oral boards. This year is obviously an anomaly as I was all signed up for the oral boards and then my oral boards were cancelled because of the pandemic. Crazy because by the time I will take my oral boards in "2021" whenever they tell me I will be taking them, I will have not done an anesthesia case in probably about 2 years. It is crazy how fast the anesthesiology knowledge goes if you don't use it.

You are exactly right; they usually don't let one take the pain boards without passing the anesthesiology oral boards. This year is obviously an anomaly as I was all signed up for the oral boards and then my oral boards were cancelled because of the pandemic. Crazy because by the time I will take my oral boards in "2021" whenever they tell me I will be taking them, I will have not done an anesthesia case in probably about 2 years. It is crazy how fast the anesthesiology knowledge goes if you don't use it.

That's tough. Sorry to hear you'll be stuck in limbo that long. They let PM&R take pain boards before oral boards as a one time exception this year for the same reasons. Fortunately, They were able to reschedule oral boards for Oct/Nov so we should get both scores back in mid-Decemberish. All of my co-fellows were anesthesia-trained and are going through the same headache now. Best of luck!

Will score notifications be emailed, or do we need to log in and continuously refresh? Ready to stop thinking about this exam!

Anyone else have their score change from pass - deferred certification to withheld?

Anyone else have their score change from pass - deferred certification to withheld?

Yep, this is just another frustrating post-covid issue we are having with the ABA.

"Results withheld pending completion of primary certification."

I interpret this as i wont know if i pass/failed until i pass my oral boards... which of course i cant even schedule at this moment. However the email continue to say, "Please wait to contact our office with questions about your results until you have received your result letter. It will answer many of the questions you may have concerning your results. "

Yep, this is just another frustrating post-covid issue we are having with the ABA.

"Results withheld pending completion of primary certification."

I interpret this as i wont know if i pass/failed until i pass my oral boards... which of course i cant even schedule at this moment. However the email continue to say, "Please wait to contact our office with questions about your results until you have received your result letter. It will answer many of the questions you may have concerning your results. "
They took your money and there’s no reason they shouldn’t tell you the results of the test. I would badmouth them all over the place. They’re holding you hostage.

Reactions: 1 user

This happened to me and a friend of mine too. I interpreted it as a pass, until ABA changed their mind and then later decided to try to hide it. My colleague felt the same way. Luckily I took a screenshot because I had a feeling the ABA would try something like this.

ABPMR just released a chunk of oral board and pain exam results yesterday. Passed as well. Congrats everybody! Hope the ABA takes care of you those of you in covid-limbo soon.