ABA raking it in on exams fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look at line 19. They aren't getting rich.

Edit- I am referring to page 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Look at line 19. They aren't getting rich.

Edit- I am referring to page 1.

still thats 1 million.. and thats after they pay everyone who works there a handsome salary.. including probably the officers. it is BS..

still thats 1 million.. and thats after they pay everyone who works there a handsome salary.. including probably the officers. it is BS..

What's the alternative? No exams and everybody gets a cookie, I mean framed Certificate of Participation?

$3500+ for the written + oral exam is steep, I'll grant you that. Are some people making a very good living administering the ABA? Probably. Good for them - given the necessary evil that the exams have to exist, I want people whose time is valuable to be the ones running things.

I don't know. Of all the things to get upset about in anesthesia-land, maybe (maybe) getting a little gouged by the gatekeepers to the specialty ranks low in my mind.

Well, they made that in the previous year- but its a non-profit so that wasn't issued to the owners.

But they took an even larger $1.4 million hit this year. Not exactly good. You can see what the officers are paid and hours worked on another page.

I am pretty sure that the majority of the "salaries" paid out have to do with reimbursement for travel expenses, with the exception of the salaried full time ABA employees.
The cities that have hotels large enough to accommodate the production that is the ABA oral exam are not cheap travel destinations. The hotels that are large enough are usually the $300 a night places. The number of examiners it takes to pull it off is quite large, and, although they are not paid, their expenses are taken care of, including travel and hotel.
In addition, the directors meet more often, and I feel certain that this is why they are listed as being reimbursed for $20K. Probably travel, hotel, and food costs. I am not thrilled with the costs associated with the process, but I don't think anyone is getting rich off the process and , in fact, most examiners give up a week of their vacation or CME time to do this.

Well, they made that in the previous year- but its a non-profit so that wasn't issued to the owners.

But they took an even larger $1.4 million hit this year. Not exactly good. You can see what the officers are paid and hours worked on another page.

how much did the president of the aba make? the employee anybody know

how much did the president of the aba make? the employee anybody know

I believe he was the one listed at $80K (or was he president elect at the time?). Considering that he speaks on behalf of the ABA at multiple meetings and attends all board of directors mtgs, I doubt it is much more than just covering expenses. After all is said and done, I bet he is making burger flipping equivalent money for his efforts. From the report, it appears that there are a few well paid executives (six or so?) who are full time employees. I believe the rest are appointed officials within the ABA who are also practicing physicians at their respective home institutions.
I don't agree with all that the ABA does, but I don't think they are skimming money off the top to pay exorbitant salaries to the directors. Perhaps their office space may be a bit too plush (haven't seen it) or their expense accounts a tad excessive (probably not too excessive based on the costs of the hotels and the restaurants in said hotels), but I suspect that the ABA is pretty much on the up and up based on my limited experience in dealing with them.

You posted some similar crap over in the Family Medicine and Internal Medicine forums. Don't you have anything better to do? Jag off......