Quantcast

Abc news: Surgeons tend to be taller and more handsome than physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilPhysician

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2744496&page=1

Old article, but it raises a curious observation that I've found to be true to an extent. Thoughts?

Probably of more importance to med students/ applicants, do you think a short person of average appearance (obviously, no ugly people attend medical school) can be a good surgery applicant?

Share thoughts.:D

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'3" (and another woman in my class is of similar height).

How about this - the physicality required to be a surgeon (typically standing for long hours in the OR and multiple cases per day) likely contributes to a greater attention to personal physical fitness by those in the surgical field. This isn't to say I haven't seen an obese surgeon, because I have. But overall, those choosing a surgical field are likely to be in reasonably good shape in the first place and the demands of the field likely contribute to keeping those individuals on the lower end of the BMI scale.

bucks2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like the quotes from physicians/surgeons placed throughout the article.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
now it explains why i saw some girls wearing stilettos during interviews...that explains everything!!!:D:D:D

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, now...stilettos don't have to be painful.

Agreed it all depends on the shoe. You shouldn't be wearing shoes on an interview that you've never worn before.

On my very first residency interview, my interviewer received a 911 page about a patient bleeding out on the floor. He said "I hope you can run in heels" and off we went running to the other side of the hospital (inside, outside, stairs, etc) and he interviewed me as we ran! Thankfully I'd worn my interview shoes a couple times before and I had no problems keeping up.

There is nothing wrong with a "sensible" pair of shiny, pointy toe, black Steve Madden heels. :love::love:

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
N = 24, and the study is from Spain.

So, they are also more likely to have mullets than other docs too?

Oh spaniard mullets and man capris......

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are mullets big in Spain? I thought it was a North American thing. Business in front, fiesta de atras.

There was always a very specific mullet style I spotted over there. I called it the spaniard mullet, but it some areas of Portugal and Italy too. They are just a variation on the same theme, but stay in the same family of awesomeness.

Fernando+Torres+Mullet.jpg

myhandsarecold

Reaction score
mmmm male orthopedic surgeons/residents

it takes a lot of self-confidence to be a surgeon, so i wouldnt be surprised.

Last edited:

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, now...stilettos don't have to be painful.

The girl had on stilettos and a short black miniskirt with a black jacket and white blouse....

During my another interview there was a tall handsome guy in cargo pants (as applicant)

During another interview I also saw a girl in a pink pant suit and yellow blouse (as applicant)

And almost during each interview there was always a girl with a nice cleavage :)by nice I mean deep:) dont get me wrong I am girl myself:)

but anyway I just liked to sit and observe people during lunch hour and while I am waiting for my turn to interview:)

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is smiley face emoticon overload.