Abdominal Aorta branches and their branches....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've got an Angiology test coming up and i've been reviewing the material over and over and i've decided to make mnemonics for the abdo aorta branches but there's just so many, has anyone got any tips for a simple and effective way to make all this info stick?

So far this is what i've got:
paired branches = MR TO (like a name)
unpaired br. = CSI or SIC
Celiac trunk = LCS
Splenic a = PLSS
Common hepatic a = GP
Proper hepatic = CRRL (this was a difficult one)
Gastroduodenal = RS
Sup. Mesenteric = JIMRI
Inf. Mesenteric = SLS
Internal iliac parietal br = SIO
internal iliac visceral br = SUUII (also difficult but tried to make it like that pig call sound you hear in movies?)
External iliac = FTP (the pathway for this one, Fem. poplit. tibials.)

But the problem is remembering all of these now, any tips other then mind numbing repetition? How did you guys learn all this any highly effective methods?

P.s I'm using images and anki to learn as well but if there's any particular method that worked well for you let me know please :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So i've got an Angiology test coming up and i've been reviewing the material over and over and i've decided to make mnemonics for the abdo aorta branches but there's just so many, has anyone got any tips for a simple and effective way to make all this info stick?

Celiac trunk = LCS
Splenic a = PLSS
Common hepatic a = GP
Gastroduodenal = RS
Sup. Mesenteric = JIMRI
Inf. Mesenteric = SLS
internal iliac visceral br = SUUII (also difficult but tried to make it like that pig call sound you hear in movies?)

But the problem is remembering all of these now, any tips other then mind numbing repetition? How did you guys learn all this any highly effective methods?
I was just going over these, why not just memorize the image? I feel like its easier to memorize the image in your head and call up the vessels that way. Try anki, all the acronyms get confusing after a while.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the process of doing that so good idea :) and yup i'm an anki user. I'm aiming for 100% so i'm just looking for as many ideas/methods as I can find and this is by far the most complex/difficult content for this test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of doing that so good idea :) and yup i'm an anki user. I'm aiming for 100% so i'm just looking for as many ideas/methods as I can find and this is by far the most complex/difficult content for this test.
visualiznig it is much better in my opinion because your get context and relationships a little easier. I pasted pages out of netters and just straight up quizzed myself on the labels in anki.

Reactions: 1 users
visualiznig it is much better in my opinion because your get context and relationships a little easier. I pasted pages out of netters and just straight up quizzed myself on the labels in anki.

That's actually a great idea! Also that will come in handy now that we're starting neuroanatomy. Thanks a lot

Celiac trunk = LCS
Splenic a = PLSS
Common hepatic a = GP
Gastroduodenal = RS
Sup. Mesenteric = JIMRI
Inf. Mesenteric = SLS

chloe-meme-original.jpg

I don't think this is a good use for acronyms. I prefer just bashing it into my head with Anki, or drawing out the branches myself.

Image 35.png

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not the greatest artist in the world. However, based on my personal exp, the best initial way to learn these vessels is:

1) Draw out the vessels 2-3 times in order to get the relative spatial location within the human body
and then
2) Go to the anatomy lab w/ a few buddies and help identify these structures in order to solidify the knowledge base

Reactions: 1 user
I tend to draw it once, use Anki, and review in lab.

Inferior Prostitutes = Inferior phrenic aa.
Cause = Celiac trunk
Super = superior mesenteric a.
Swollen = suprarenal aa. (middle)
Red = renal aa.
Testicles = testicular/ovarian/gonadal aa.
Lumbering = lumbar aa.
Into = Inferior mesenteric a.
My Sinful = middle/median sacral a.
C0ck = common iliac aa.

CSI = unpaired visceral
2 testicles/ovaries, 2 kidneys, 2 adrenals = paired visceral
inferior phrenic aa., lumbar aa., = paired parietal
median/ middle sacral a. = unpaired parietal
common iliac aa. = terminal branches

Cause = Celiac trunk

Red = renal aa.
Lumbering = lumbar aa.
C0ck = common iliac aa.

CSI = unpaired vessels

kinda just memorized the rest
and this is the reason mnemonics suck
aorta-geeky-medics.jpg

Cause = Celiac trunk
Red = renal aa.
Lumbering = lumbar aa.
C0ck = common iliac aa.

CSI = unpaired visceral
median/ middle sacral a. = unpaired parietal
common iliac aa. = terminal branches

Yeah I saw that mnemonic, problem is I have to remember the branches of those branches so I end up with a paragraph of mnemonics.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess i'll just keep doing what i'm doing - a mixture of everything and a lot of head bashing

Yeah I saw that mnemonic, problem is I have to remember the branches of those branches so I end up with a paragraph of mnemonics.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess i'll just keep doing what i'm doing - a mixture of everything and a lot of head bashing

It's unfortunately a lot of grinding it out. Good luck

It's unfortunately a lot of grinding it out. Good luck

Yeah I figured it's just plain memorization, fortunately it's my last anatomy class for a few years :) thanks a lot and thanks for the help

Imperfect, but I found it helpful. Figured I might as well pass it on in case someone else finds it useful
You are probably right, that will stay with you much longer. Like "The Zebra bit my cock" facial nerves.

Anki + draw it out 2-3 times by section (ventral, dorsal, lateral, terminal branches). Then draw out the branches of each and memorize those sequentially. Finally learn the anastomoses/ends.

The more you compartmentalize the material the faster it is to memorize, because by grouping you are effectively memorizing less units of “things”. Mnemonics are great but can’t replace having a full visual image entrained into your head

Don’t forget about venous abdominal drainage after! It’s pretty easy since it’s just memorizing the differences from the already memorized arterial system.

Mnemonics, in my opinion, don't generally work great for anatomy. I lived by Anki image occlusion for anatomy!

Reactions: 1 user