ABFAS LEAD exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExperiencedDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed the 2nd quarter of the LEAD exam. I’m not sure who is complaining or why. I don’t think I spent more than 15 seconds on any question and I think that all the questions were well written and fair.

I believe I got 1 or 2 wrong, and I was multi-tasking at the time.

So don’t worry if you haven’t taken it yet, it’s a MUCH better and fairer option than going to an exam center, paying big bucks and sitting through that exam.

The entire process sucks, but I think they made it as user friendly as possible. Finally.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just completed the 2nd quarter of the LEAD exam. I’m not sure who is complaining or why. I don’t think I spent more than 15 seconds on any question and I think that all the questions were well written and fair.

I believe I got 1 or 2 wrong, and I was multi-tasking at the time.

So don’t worry if you haven’t taken it yet, it’s a MUCH better and fairer option than going to an exam center, paying big bucks and sitting through that exam.

The entire process sucks, but I think they made it as user friendly as possible. Finally.
ABFAS benefits by making it fair to keep people certified so they can collect those dues. It is a no brainer.

Since board certification is pointless/useless in terms of actual skill/outcomes/patient care, I’m all for the whole process being as simple and easy as possible

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found most of the content to be limited to arbitrary case studies. Many of the surgical scenarios were not common place. Same old bone tumor questions too. Just another waste of time like the 10 year cert exam.

Fairly straightforward again in my eyes. I don’t know why everyone gets worked up about bone tumors. I see one every month or so. You need to know what you are looking at so you know appropriate avenue/timeline of treatment. You don’t want to be “that guy” urgently sending a benign stable lesion.

What gets me is some of the topics that have went the way of the dodo ( plantar fibromas excision, plantar heel spur excision, ect)

Fairly straightforward again in my eyes. I don’t know why everyone gets worked up about bone tumors. I see one every month or so. You need to know what you are looking at so you know appropriate avenue/timeline of treatment. You don’t want to be “that guy” urgently sending a benign stable lesion.

What gets me is some of the topics that have went the way of the dodo ( plantar fibromas excision, plantar heel spur excision, ect)
heel spur excision is literally the dumbest $hit I have ever seen

Reactions: 1 user
I see one every month or so.

KzaM.gif

• Haha
In the survey questionnaire at the end of the module I tried to type, "It would be helpful to have a larger font size" but the font was white against a white text box background and I could barely see what I had typed. I could sort of make out the shadows of the letters. So much for giving constructive criticism, haha.

Reactions: 2 users
heel spur excision is literally the dumbest $hit I have ever seen
I get 5+ referrals a week to remove heel spurs.
I have removed exactly zero.
But regardless they never end.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve had many patients over the years who had the rarely discussed, but apparently common, painful heel sperms.

What about a referral for a “transvaginal amputation”. Ya. No joke. Printed and on my door.

• Wow
What about a referral for a “transvaginal amputation”. Ya. No joke. Printed and on my door.
Transvaginal foot surgery is one step up from MIS. No pesky incision period. Can only be performed with the robot though.