ABFM Scores - How Important Are These?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctahB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As I get down to ranking residencies, I came across the file attached.

How important is the actual score received from the board exam, and with regards to what (fellowship, employment, etc)?

Additionally, it should be considered red flags to see a program with a less than 100% Taken, less than 100% Passed, and below-average board scores, yes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ResidencyPerformance_Online (4).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
Most people sign their job contracts before even taking the test. I signed contract in November and don't take boards until April, so it basically has no effect on employment or fellowship since you'll probably have that locked down by April. It's very important to pass the boards or that stuff will fall through.

Reactions: 1 user
Additionally, it should be considered red flags to see a program with a less than 100% Taken, less than 100% Passed, and below-average board scores, yes?

That's definitely a red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

As I get down to ranking residencies, I came across the file attached.

How important is the actual score received from the board exam, and with regards to what (fellowship, employment, etc)?

Thanks!
The score matters 0% in my experience. No one asked to see mine. Several years before my class we had a resident who refused to take it and the program was still annoyed with her because it looks really bad on the program. She practiced in the city in an icc. (our pass rate is good 1 person failed every few Years).

Some people are beginning to see board certification as a money grab rather than ensuring good practice in a specialty.

Internists literally are suing ABIM over the way they have been handling board certification.