PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
I was made aware of a very noteworthy scholarship put out annually by the American Board of Family Practice. It is called the Pisacano Foundation scholarship, and the maximum award is 28K over 4 years. You must go into FP and if you chose not to, you must repay the money. The people who have won this scholarship are very impressive candidates and to win this is a great accomplishment. I was informed about this scholarship by my state AAFP society, who incidentally has a president-elect who is a DO. I am astounded to say though that this ABFP board who boards thousands of DO's, does not allow a DO student to apply for this distinguished award. And not to tute my own horn, but I think I have stats that would compete with any MD student applying for this scholarship. Here is the link to the scholarship foundation website. You will have to look hard to figure out that there is a DO exclusion, but its on there.
So what do you guys think of this BS?

http://www.fpleaders.org/

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Under application:

Qualifications/Criteria:
Only applicants who in the fall of 2005 will be entering their fourth year (full-time) in a U.S. medical school will be considered. Applicants must have declared Family Medicine as their specialty. Applicants will be judged on commitment to Family Medicine, leadership qualities, ability, academic performance, character, interpersonal skills, integrity, communication skills, and involvement in serving others. Applications are not accepted from students attending osteopathic schools. :mad: http://www.fpleaders.org/appfrm.html

We should look into forming our own scholarship program, where DOs contribute and donate money and time. That way only osteopathic students will be eligible to receive this scholarship.

OP
P

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
It doesn't look like a private scholarship if it is linked by the ABFP's website, and the ABFP sponsors it. This so called "foundation" is housed in the same office as the ABFP. Just look at the address. Also, check the list of donors once again. There is indeed money coming from DO's. I wouldn't want to be the poor bastard who donated as a DO for this scholarship!! What a dip-shi#.

medicine1 said:
I agree that they shouldn't discriminate, but it is a private scholarship that is funded through donations. The people that have donated money to this scholarship are made up entirely of M.D.s: http://www.fpleaders.org/donorfrm.html

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
I do see one DO: Gary A. Goforth, D.O.
I also see that only M.D.s are Boad of Directors for the scholarship program.

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2002
New York City
www.facebook.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It seems a smart move to me, given the relative rates of MDs and DOs who go into family practice. Scholarships like this are generally established to encourage more people to do something, and so restricting it to the FP-poor ranks of allopathic students is one way of ensuring that it will have the most impact.

OP
P

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
LukeWhite said:
It seems a smart move to me, given the relative rates of MDs and DOs who go into family practice. Scholarships like this are generally established to encourage more people to do something, and so restricting it to the FP-poor ranks of allopathic students is one way of ensuring that it will have the most impact.
I think you are missing the point. This scholarship is being put out by an organization that we as DO's pay dues to, pay board certification fees to, and who represents us. If all the DO's in the AAFP and in AMA residency programs bailed overnight, tons of programs would have to shut down. We keep many a program alive and functional. I mean it is completely feasible that a DO will be the president of the ABFP/AAFP in coming years as many state AAFP subordinates are now headed by DO's. What will happen then? If this was a private foundation not affiliated with our mother organization, I could take this better. I am planning on pushing this issue all the way to the floor of the AAFP national conference. These people have not seen anything yet baby!!

[email protected]

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Rochester, ny
Status
Medical Student
Contact the DO's that are contributing money and inform them of this little rule. Also email the high ranking DO's within the org. and just let them know.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
You can call Dr. Goforth and ask him why he has donated money to an all exclusive MD scholarship program. Here is his address and phone number PACtoDOC.

Washington County Health Center Nashville Clinic
1245 S. Mill (618)-327-8216 661 W. Adams (618)-327-8135
Nashville, IL 62263 Nashville, IL 62263
Thomas Coy, D.O. Gary Goforth, D.O. Pravej Itarut, M.D.
Mohammed Z. Siddiqui, M.D. Deb Auld, PA-C
Amy Knepp, PA-C