ABG Mixed acid-base disorder

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by CYP2D6, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. CYP2D6

CYP2D6

Medical Student
    Hi, I am working on mixed acid-base disorders and ran across this article:
    http://www.clinchem.org/content/31/2/321.full.pdf
    "Patients with a metabolic acidosis (acidemia plus a low plasma [HC0]), whose calculated Pco2 is less than the measured value, have, in addition, an underlying respiratory alkalosis. Conversely, patients with a calculated value greater than the measured value have a primary respiratory acidosis in addition to the metabolic acidosis (provided the disorder has been present longer than 12h)."

This paragraph is confusing me.......it doesn't seem correct. It seems to be they have the terms calculated and measured reversed (i.e. should be if the measured Pco2 is less than the calculated value, then there is an underlying respiratory alkalosis). Measured is what comes back on the lab report, and calculated is what you estimate it should be based on the formula PCO2 = 1.5 x HCO3 + (8 +/- 2)......right?

If the article IS correct, could someone please explain it to me?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Apoplexy__

Apoplexy__ Blood-and-thunder appearance Bronze Donor 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Seems wrong. Can't think of any way it could be right the way it's written.

If pCO2 is lower than what was calculated, you have an additional primary respiratory alkalosis.
    If pCO2 is higher than what was calculated, you have an additional primary respiratory acidosis.

CherryRedDracul likes this.
  4. CherryRedDracul

CherryRedDracul 2 Chainz Muscular Dystrophy 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Somebody dun goof'd.

5. CYP2D6

CYP2D6

Medical Student
    Lol thanks guys, that's what I was thinking, but was afraid I was missing something. Thanks!

About the ads