ABIM credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIIT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation, and I wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm a PGY3 who took leave of absence mid November. I basically have 30 months of IM credit. I need to get 6-12 months more of IM credit to take my boards. I know I would have to basically do PGY3 again, but finding a spot is hard. Is there another way to get this credit? Like, work in a clinic? be a hospitalist? do research?

Members don't see this ad.

you can look here

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/imss/im.aspx

which gives you the min requirements for board eligibility as well as alternatives…

mostly the alternatives are for credit for training done in other specialties or in foreign countries…as well as a research pathway…none seem to fit your needs.

are you not planning on going back?

Here's my situation, and I wanted to know what you guys think.

I'm a PGY3 who took leave of absence mid November. I basically have 30 months of IM credit. I need to get 6-12 months more of IM credit to take my boards. I know I would have to basically do PGY3 again, but finding a spot is hard. Is there another way to get this credit? Like, work in a clinic? be a hospitalist? do research?
No.

When you say you took an LOA, what that means to me is that, now you just go back to that program and finish up, maybe doing a full 3rd year. What you're suggesting here though is that you actually quit or were removed from the program.

In that case, you need to do one of 2 things:
1. Find another program to take you. Best case scenario you can find one to take you as an R3, more likely, they're going to want you to go back and demonstrate your skills as an R2 so you're looking at 1-2 years.
2. Find a fellowship to take you on the research pathway. Notably you'll have to get your prior PD to certify that you're elligible for this and it means another 4+ years of fellowship that you may not actually be interested in.

Honestly, your best bet if your prior program won't take you back, is to re-enter the match as an intern and discuss with programs that interview you whether you might be able to progress more quickly through the program if you prove your worthiness to do so.

(NOTE: While I was typing this, rokshana posted above and basically says the same thing.)