ABIM Exam 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anradam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys:
cramming for the august exam, hoping to start a thread for this year's test takers to talk... i'm finding it hard to make time to study beginning my GI fellowship, uhhh!
adam

Members don't see this ad.

What are you using to study?

use Med Study, Med Study, Med Study! do questions from the MKSAP CD-ROM. take notes on stuff you absolutely don't know and review them before the test. that is all it takes. its a very doable test!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using MKSAP 13, not 14 so I am a little worried. Also using MedStudy Q&A...any comments??

I'm taking ABIM in august and wondering what ppl have been getting on the mksap 14 exams. They're tricky and kind of annoying..

I just started studying a couple weeks ago and I'm realizing there is ALOT of info to be covered!!! I'm taking the abim on the 30th....not looking to good right now...getting 65%-75% on the mksap 14...not really sure what to expect...i think alot of the questions are tricky as well..... and I wish I knew what the correlation was between % on mksap to passing the abim.....I've heard all kinds of crazy things! If anyone knows anything please shed some light onto the matter...thanks.

I'm taking ABIM in august and wondering what ppl have been getting on the mksap 14 exams. They're tricky and kind of annoying..

As an intern, right now I'm very lucky if I hit 50%. Mostly I'm running in the 35-40% area. Kinda disheartening but a nice wake up call as to how much further I need to go in my training.

Hey Ace,

I'm there with you. Like some of this stuff I don't even remember learning! I've been getting 60-73%. Some of the questions are really ridiculous.

Does anyone know what percentage you need on the actual exam to pass? I heard it's like 67%.

I just started studying a couple weeks ago and I'm realizing there is ALOT of info to be covered!!! I'm taking the abim on the 30th....not looking to good right now...getting 65%-75% on the mksap 14...not really sure what to expect...i think alot of the questions are tricky as well..... and I wish I knew what the correlation was between % on mksap to passing the abim.....I've heard all kinds of crazy things! If anyone knows anything please shed some light onto the matter...thanks.

Hey Booda,

67% seems like a high precentage to me, especially if the mksap questions are a indicator of the actual exam. I find that when I review questions I get wrong, I get wrong again later....apparently not learning from my mistakes or questions are writen poorly. I'm reading medstudy 11th edition (not 12th) and using mksap 14 questions...everyday at the end of the day I stress out because I feel like I'm not going to be ready for this exam :(

Also i just went on the abim site to get familar with the program/software for the exam...I don't think I like it!

Hi all,

(references deleted post)

thanks.

...ummm...ethics? You really shouldn't need to resort to this. I took it yesterday and it really is not bad at all. It is fair and there is PLENTY of time to complete it. Remember: almost everyone passes. If you can't pass without getting the answers/cheating, maybe that's a sign that you're not ready to be an attending. Sorry to sound harsh...but just a thought.

Adam thanks for the reply. It's good to know about the exam. atleast what topic they are concentrating on. It's just some help that i was asking for.

Thanks anyways....

im taking the test tomorrow. only did mksap 13 questions. didnt have time to study much cause of the new fellowship. im hoping to get 100% on oncology and have that ride me through the rest of the test. i dont think what i learned in residency ie: early dispo, no standing labs, if you dont look, youre not going to find it, colace senna metamucil, "we'll let the primary doctor on the outside look into that" etc... will help with this test. luckily my program will let me out 2 hours early today. will let you know how it goes

Hey guys, I passed my exam last year. It was not difficult at all. Don't worry about MKSAP questions. They won't be that difficult.

If you know basics you will pass. I could not do half of MKSAP questions during that time. I read Med study and did few questions ( not all )from MKSAP.

The questions are small and there will be some twist in management part.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the GI MKSAP 14 questions today and my ass was handed to me...there is several questions regarding when to screen again depending on the type of lesion found from prior colonoscopy...this left me very confused...anyway I got 64% on the this question set...not looking good...Booda, I see what your talking about now!

finished the test yesterday. wasnt too bad. lots of basic stuff, few esoteric things. overall was probably easier than the inservice. so as long as you did ok in those you'll do fine.

Hey King,

I envy you. I wish I signed up for this test earlier. I'm bored with studying and although I don't know everything, I frankly don't care at this point...

To all this members who ok the ABIM already.
Please post your questions, topics, memories ,etc so people who is studing or preparing for next year can use them to sudy and reinforce their knowledge.

Thanks peers.

Hey King,

I envy you. I wish I signed up for this test earlier. I'm bored with studying and although I don't know everything, I frankly don't care at this point...

Which reminds me of something (that my wife reminded of me this morning) that I used to say when studying for exams in med school. "I'm stopping...I'll never be finished but I have to stop." At a certain point, you stop retaining information and you just have to go for it.

Good luck.

Adam thanks for the reply. It's good to know about the exam. atleast what topic they are concentrating on. It's just some help that i was asking for.

Thanks anyways....

This is fraudulent. You cannot pass around answers or questions to such tests, not only is it unfair to everyone else but it is academically suspect and fraudulent.

To all this members who ok the ABIM already.
Please post your questions, topics, memories ,etc so people who is studing or preparing for next year can use them to sudy and reinforce their knowledge.

Thanks peers.

Not only is it fraudlent, but it's illegal as these tests are copyrighted. And as such, it would be a violation of the terms of service you agreed to when you created an account on SDN.

Do not post questions from the ABIM.

Not only is it fraudlent, but it's illegal as these tests are copyrighted. And as such, it would be a violation of the terms of service you agreed to when you created an account on SDN.

Do not post questions from the ABIM.

It is not illegal to post concepts and examples of the material covered by ABIM. We are cot photocopying the material nor overwriting the exact questions. Apart that this a free country with full liberty of expression which will aloud us to share information. This will not be a fraud and will help people to prepare for the exam.

Everyone who takes the ABIM exam agrees to a pledge that states you will not disclose anything about the exam - "free country" has nothing to do with it!
And frankly, you should not need this information!!!
Just study the various areas of medicine like the rest of us and you should do fine.
Isn't the first time pass rate ridiculously high? If you have been paying attention at all for the past 3 years and have been doing regular studying as per expected, you'll be fine! Heard of MKSAP? Medstudy?
Please do not ask people to dishonor themselves by revealing test information just so you can get a dishonest "leg up."

I'm taking the Exam on the 24th. Been studying for weeks, but still feel like I have lots of work to do. Trying to focus on uncommon presentations of common diseases and common presentations of uncommon diseases. All of those vasculitides and ILDs are tough to remember. Any good pneumonics out there?

for those of you who just took the exam and had done both mksap 14 questions (and study all the answers) and medstudy, which one is more high yield? i've been told by a few people that the mksap questions are a lot more high yield than medstudy. i've done all the mksap questions, now going over them again, but did very little medstudy. should i try to go through medstudy as much as i can, or should i just focus on those medstudy questions and explanations?

It is not illegal to post concepts and examples of the material covered by ABIM. We are cot photocopying the material nor overwriting the exact questions. Apart that this a free country with full liberty of expression which will aloud us to share information. This will not be a fraud and will help people to prepare for the exam.

You are correct, it is not illegal to post concepts or general topics from the test, however, that is not how you worded your prior post.

drwilo said:
Please post your questions,

This is vague enough that it could have very well meant that you were asking for people to post specific questions.

The companies and organizations who put these tests together take the disclosure and sharing of their material very seriously. Just look at what is going on with the Naplex at the moment

Now as for your assertion that this is a free country, you are correct. But the caveat to that is this website which you are using had you sign a terms of service when you created an account which did go into detail about the misuse and posting of copyrighted materials. So you are free to use SDN as long as you stay within the terms of service to which you agreed.

And just so you know, this is SDNs official policy on copyrighted materials.

Misuse of or improper solicitation of copyrighted materials is prohibited by TOS. Violators may be held accountable as specified in the TOS. They may recieve a warning, infraction, post hold, or be banned from the site. Additionally, SDN reserves the right to remove any copyrighted material, in protection of its own interests. This in no way obligates SDN to remove all or any particular copyright infringing materials. It is impossible for staff to police the site entirely. In some cases we may lack responding staff or simply be unaware of the copyright status of specific materials.

"Fair use" of copyrighted materials is permitted. For example, posters may quote relevant text from articles, trade materials that are considered freely distributable, and advertise resellable items in the classifieds area.

Users may not solicit, trade, or offer for sale any non-distributable copyrighted material anywhere on the forums. We do not allow resale of texts that are not resellable per buyer-manufacturer contracts, posting of content that is intended to allow others to benefit without having to purchase a particular text, or the posting of standardized exam questions or answers covered by nondisclosure agreements between testing agencies and exam takers. It is fine for posters to discuss their feelings about standardized exams or general topics that appeared on their test version. However, NO specific exam questions or answers may be posted on SDN. Organizations such as AAMC are known to actively monitor our site, and they take violations of this policy very seriously.

We do not release user data to companies who request info on those who violate copyright laws without a subpoena. Please simply refer all requests for such information to the "Contact us" link on the main page.

i've been spending my time going over mksap 13 questions, should i be going through medstudy question, writing on the 30th........
adam

for those of you who just took the exam and had done both mksap 14 questions (and study all the answers) and medstudy, which one is more high yield? i've been told by a few people that the mksap questions are a lot more high yield than medstudy. i've done all the mksap questions, now going over them again, but did very little medstudy. should i try to go through medstudy as much as i can, or should i just focus on those medstudy questions and explanations?

Good job for getting through all the questions! If you did OK on them, you'll be more than prepared for the exam. You should have nothing to worry about ^_^ I would agree that MKSAP is higher yield than Medstudy. Also, it's true that ABIM is easier/more straightforward than MKSAP and the inservice exam.
Good luck!

Good job for getting through all the questions! If you did OK on them, you'll be more than prepared for the exam. You should have nothing to worry about ^_^ I would agree that MKSAP is higher yield than Medstudy. Also, it's true that ABIM is easier/more straightforward than MKSAP and the inservice exam.
Good luck!

hmmm.... i wouldn't say i aced those mksap 14 questions, probably averaged around 60% overall first time through it.

Also taking ABIM boards in a few days. My residency board review guru that he averaged around 70% on MKSAP questions, and he passed his boards, is very smart yada, yada, yada. Point being, the questions are sometimes flawed or even contradict each other but getting 65-70% is good. Don't worry!

Taking the test on monday. I sure hope I pass so I don't have to go through this hell again!

cramming for my exam on the 30th..been through mksap 13 q's 2 times now, very useful...just went through medstudy Q&A, averaged 64%...uhhhh...now i'm worried!!!