ABIM MOC Exam Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIce3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just logged onto the new ABIM MOC page. It is very fancy and seems fully worth all of the extra additional money I will need to pay to the ABIM. Or not.

1.) Is the MOC exam the same as the recertification exam?

2.) Has the requirement date for the MOC/recertification exam changed? I see I am due for the exam two years earlier than I had been under the new requirements, according to "my MOC" page. Can anyone look at their MOC page and see if they note the same thing.

3. Is it just me or does it make no sense to require a patient safety module that requires an additional fee to an outside institution?

Members don't see this ad.

As for the content of the exam, there really isn't much of a difference. The category breakdown is the exact same. The difference is in the length of the exam:
  • Initial certification exam: Approximately 10 hours (Four 2-hour sessions with a maximum of 60 questions per session) + breaks

• Maintenance of Certification exam: Approximately 8 hours (Three 2-hour sessions with a maximum of 60 questions per session) + breaks

Recertification went away on the site it appears as I used to be listed as Certified and Recertified. Now I am only listed as Certified with a yes by MOC. So #1 appears to be yes. Can someone look and check out #2 for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just logged onto the new ABIM MOC page. It is very fancy and seems fully worth all of the extra additional money I will need to pay to the ABIM. Or not.

1.) Is the MOC exam the same as the recertification exam?

2.) Has the requirement date for the MOC/recertification exam changed? I see I am due for the exam two years earlier than I had been under the new requirements, according to "my MOC" page. Can anyone look at their MOC page and see if they note the same thing.

3. Is it just me or does it make no sense to require a patient safety module that requires an additional fee to an outside institution?
#1: Yes
#2: No, it's still ten years. But you can take the test prior to that, and you don't "lose" any years. (So for example, you could take the test in year #8, and you still wouldn't be due to retake until year #20 rather than year #18).
#3: None of this makes any sense.

As far as I can tell, the new MOC program is extortion, pure and simple. I now have to pay ABIM $350 a year so they will list me as "maintaining certification" rather than certified, not meeting maintenance requirements. Then, I get to pay extra $ for the privelege of completeing "MOC activities" for "MOC points." The claim that patients requested this is ludicrous - I suspect most of my patients don't even know what board certified means. If I past the test, or the re-cert test, I should be certified for the 10 year period. If I'm maintaining my liscensure, completing state-mandated CME, etc, ABIM should feel comfortable that I'm meeting their standards, I don't need to spend extra $ or extra time on activiites to prove that. Does anyone else feel this way?

The new ABIM MOC rules have totally changed. I recommend reviewing them if you are in the MOC program.

Last edited: