ABIM pathway communication and ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloud12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am an ABIM candidate about to enter the Match. One of the institutions at which I interviewed communicated to me that I am out of the running for an ABIM spot. I am just wondering, has anyone in this position actually matched at the same institution for a categorical position when the ABIM has been denied? I still really like this program. Thank you. Appreciate your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am an ABIM candidate about to enter the Match. One of the institutions at which I interviewed communicated to me that I am out of the running for an ABIM spot. I am just wondering, has anyone in this position actually matched at the same institution for a categorical position when the ABIM has been denied? I still really like this program. Thank you. Appreciate your time!

I think this is independent. They may communicate with you, so you don't only rank them for the ABIM track. Keep in mind that they may still allow you to join during intern year as well, so keep your head up. Unless you are fixed on PST and have other universities offering this to you, stay with your ranking.

I think this is independent. They may communicate with you, so you don't only rank them for the ABIM track. Keep in mind that they may still allow you to join during intern year as well, so keep your head up. Unless you are fixed on PST and have other universities offering this to you, stay with your ranking.
No experience other than going through the process right now, and I would agree. I think they tell people out of courtesy to avoid wasting a ranking spot, but your candidacy for a categorical spot is likely independent. The way I look at it is that people interested in science are still uncommon and thus would still be appreciated for a categorical spot. Who knows thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Cornell or WashU?

Either way, rank them how you liked them. Move on and try not to get butt hurt.

That's interesting. I only thought that the programs which didn't have their own NRMP numbers (and therefore were not a direct match thru ERAS) would communicate your standings in terms of whether you were going to get a fellowship spot but I didn't realize that straight NRMP approved programs would tell you they weren't going to rank you. I guess that's considerate so you don't have to waste a spot on your list. Every program I went to said that the categorical track will rank you separately as well.

Oh sweet baby jeebus. I just can't anymore.

I'm sorry if I'm being completely stupid about this. Clearly I'm not getting something here. If a program told you that you are no longer in the running for a PSTP spot, why would you still rank the PSTP track? I'd still rank the categorical program, but it just seems nonsensical to rank something that pretty much is closed off. Are the programs that vindictive that they'd tell you you're out when you still have a chance to match?

I'm sorry if I'm being completely stupid about this. Clearly I'm not getting something here. If a program told you that you are no longer in the running for a PSTP spot, why would you still rank the PSTP track? I'd still rank the categorical program, but it just seems nonsensical to rank something that pretty much is closed off. Are the programs that vindictive that they'd tell you you're out when you still have a chance to match?
Because how a program "feels" about an applicant should have zero influence on the programs/order of an applicant's rank list. What you said and was quoted highlighted an ignorance that is commonly spewed on SDN.

The incremental cost to have programs >20 on an applicant rank list should never cause someone to not rank a program that they desire. And, if they haven't reached that point - rank EVERY program you desire in the order you want them REGARDLESS of what a program has/has not communicated.

Because how a program "feels" about an applicant should have zero influence on the programs/order of an applicant's rank list. What you said and was quoted highlighted an ignorance that is commonly spewed on SDN.

The incremental cost to have programs >20 on an applicant rank list should never cause someone to not rank a program that they desire. And, if they haven't reached that point - rank EVERY program you desire in the order you want them REGARDLESS of what a program has/has not communicated.

This is not an absolute. If a program explicitly states they will not rank you for PST (what the hell would be the ulterior motive for this?), there is no point in ranking them. Per the algorithm, ranking them wouldn't hurt you but if you have 21 programs, you could save money. Use logic.

This is good advice for categorical applicants. But bad advice for PSTP because you might be headed down a deadend track. I would certainly clarify by phone with the program. You may have 3 or 4 applicants ahead of you in a competitive fellowship like oncology. But They may let you fast track out to another institution. You may get to apply as an R2 as an internal fellowship applicant if you're comfortable starting without a fellowship guarantee because other aspects of the residency training are particularly compelling. Most programs I applied fast track to had a single match number. It's different everywhere, so ask

Last edited: