Able to apply for Fall 2019 admission? Chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bp12345678

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to medical school next year.
I would be 29 in Fall 2019(Is that too old to start medical school?)
I have a 3.2 cgpa and a 3.6 sgpa (I have not taken any of the pre reqs yet)
I would take the MCAT Spring 2018 or Summer 2018
I am planning to get some shadowing and volunteer work in this year and continue with it next year if I decide to go down the med school path
I would apply to DO schools only and a couple new MD's as reach schools.

Members don't see this ad.

you need to get into a post bacc right now if you want to apply fall 2019 and start hammering away on the pre reqs. I believe I did all of them in a similar time frame, but you'll need to be pulling 3 lab sciences with labs per semester for at least 2 or 3 semesters. That isn't terribly easy, but it's doable if you put your head down. Get all A's. You wont know your chances of getting in without an MCAT score. 3.2 is pretty low but doable for DO.

something like:

fall 2017:
bio 1 + lab
chem 1 + lab
phys 1 + lab

spring 2018
Bio 2 + lab
Chem 2 + lab
Phys 2 + lab

summer 2018
Orgo 1 + lab

Fall 2018
Orgo 2+ lab
Biochem + lab

and if you need any math classes/behavior science/writing classes/etc that you dont have that are also required.

edit: actually now that i'mt hinking about it i dont know how you'd get in for fall 2019. Lets say you do the above and get all prereqs, that still means you have to study and take the mcat probably around may, june or so 2019. You can then apply for Fall 2020. You cant take the MCAT and get in the same year, it doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
you need to get into a post bacc right now if you want to apply fall 2019 and start hammering away on the pre reqs. I believe I did all of them in a similar time frame, but you'll need to be pulling 3 lab sciences with labs per semester for at least 2 or 3 semesters. That isn't terribly easy, but it's doable if you put your head down. Get all A's. You wont know your chances of getting in without an MCAT score. 3.2 is pretty low but doable for DO.

something like:

fall 2017:
bio 1 + lab
chem 1 + lab
phys 1 + lab

spring 2018
Bio 2 + lab
Chem 2 + lab
Phys 2 + lab

summer 2018
Orgo 1 + lab

Fall 2018
Orgo 2+ lab
Biochem + lab

and if you need any math classes/behavior science/writing classes/etc that you dont have that are also required.

edit: actually now that i'mt hinking about it i dont know how you'd get in for fall 2019. Lets say you do the above and get all prereqs, that still means you have to study and take the mcat probably around may, june or so 2019. You can then apply for Fall 2020. You cant take the MCAT and get in the same year, it doesn't work that way.
I only need those pre reqs. I was planning on taking the courses at a CC. If I took Chem 1 over the summer 2017 and took org 2+physics 2 after the spring or summer 2018 MCAT(pre reqs I heard had to be completed by matriculation) wouldn't fall 2019 admission still be possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all it's unadvisable to do your prerequisites at community college. Secondly, you'll need your prerequisites done before you take the MCAT.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First of all it's unadvisable to do your prerequisites at community college. Secondly, you'll need your prerequisites done before you take the MCAT.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Disagree. Agree. Agree.

It's OK to do some pre-reqs at a CC (biochem is probably not taught at CC) if money is an issue. I know lots of people who did some pre-reqs at CC that got into medical schools. I agree that pre-reqs should be done before taking the MCAT unless you can self teach yourself (would be really hard). Definitely agree that you should pace yourself and don't rush for the best results.

First of all it's unadvisable to do your prerequisites at community college.

Not for DO, they don't care. MD will care however.

OP you might want to consider doing a post-bac that is specifically geared towards people who haven't done any pre-reqs yet, they can be beneficial for someone in your shoes.