Abnormal Psychology Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AryaStark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be teaching this summer/fall, and really want to find an abnormal psychology book that my students will enjoy. Looking for the following:
- Easy to understand but comprehensive
- Great organization
- Great resources (e.g., videos, test stuff, online resources)
- Newish (would be nice to have some information about DSM-V but not a necessity)
- Funny/clever/witty (this is a BIG one because I always found classes more enjoyable when the book made me laugh).

.... Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I never taught that one myself, but I know a few people who have, and will ask around for recommendations.

Also keep in mind that if you contact publisher reps, they may be able to get you online access and/or mail you a review copy so that you can flip through a few for yourself.

I used Kring (11th Ed) a couple of years ago teaching an abnormal course. It was okay, but I wish I had looked around more. Certainly was a serviceable book and fairly well organized from what I recall.

SInce you have some time, I recommend browing some of the common texts on Amazon. Then contact publishers for the top 2-3 books and see if you can get a free copy to review. You could also see from your campus bookstore what previous instructors have used. Publishers are happy to let you have one copy in order to sell them to your whole class.

This happens all the time and once the publishers have you on a list, they will keep sending you updated desk copies when new editions come out.

Another idea if you don't want to do it that way is to drop by a regional psychology conference. There will be lots of texts around there to view at once.

On a side note, I recommend finding two books you like. Assign one and use the other to help you prep your class with more. Keeps a fresh perspective for students.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am going to be teaching this summer/fall, and really want to find an abnormal psychology book that my students will enjoy. Looking for the following:
- Easy to understand but comprehensive
- Great organization
- Great resources (e.g., videos, test stuff, online resources)
- Newish (would be nice to have some information about DSM-V but not a necessity)
- Funny/clever/witty (this is a BIG one because I always found classes more enjoyable when the book made me laugh).

.... Thoughts?

I like Barlow's Abnormal book. It definitely contains some bias toward his type of research, but it is a great resource with case studies for different disorders included in the chapters.

I used Kring (11th Ed) a couple of years ago teaching an abnormal course. It was okay, but I wish I had looked around more. Certainly was a serviceable book and fairly well organized from what I recall.

SInce you have some time, I recommend browing some of the common texts on Amazon. Then contact publishers for the top 2-3 books and see if you can get a free copy to review. You could also see from your campus bookstore what previous instructors have used. Publishers are happy to let you have one copy in order to sell them to your whole class.

This happens all the time and once the publishers have you on a list, they will keep sending you updated desk copies when new editions come out.

Another idea if you don't want to do it that way is to drop by a regional psychology conference. There will be lots of texts around there to view at once.

On a side note, I recommend finding two books you like. Assign one and use the other to help you prep your class with more. Keeps a fresh perspective for students.

Very, very good recommendation. Back when I taught a few years ago, my publisher rep ended up sending me probably half a dozen different texts in addition to providing me online access to two or three. It definitely helped me round out some of my lectures by including content that wasn't directly from the students' books, which I feel made things a bit more interesting for them.

^^ yes... really good idea. I also think you might want to head to a campus bookstore store and just flip through some. My school changes them almost every year, so there's gotta be a few lying around still.
There's so many of them...

Most textbooks for intro-level classes are pretty mediocre. Finding 1 decent book and using some additional chapters/articles will probably provide the best information....though more work for you.

I've used Comer (abnormal)with Whitcombe and Krausse (case studies) as a secondary text when I've taught that class. That has seemed to cover everything plus they are both pretty elementary.

Last edited:

This is a great idea. It may help you in other ways too:

1. Boost student evals at end of term because you went beyond "just lecturing out of the book."

2. Increase student attendance to lecture if they know you're not "just lecturing out of the book" and material beyond the text will appear on exams.

This is a great idea. It may help you in other ways too:

1. Boost student evals at end of term because you went beyond "just lecturing out of the book."

2. Increase student attendance to lecture if they know you're not "just lecturing out of the book" and material beyond the text will appear on exams.

Agreed on all accounts.

I have publishers sending me "stuff" frequently, whether it be texts or materials. I have no interest in some of it, but some of it does come in handy (even if it's not right this very moment!).

I also agree re: the use of multiple texts. Sometimes the info overlaps, but you may find tidbits of info re: the same study that slightly vary which helps to spruce things up a bit--or even additional studies not discussed in the text you are using to supplement the concepts that you intend to cover. I agree with wig that this helps with your evaluations (especially if you are being formally evaluated by a professor/administrator who may check to see if you are covering material from outside the text), as well as attendance. I have a few students with poor attendance, but the majority of them are pretty darned good at being in class due to the "extra" material thrown in here & there. Sometimes that material may be minimal; sometimes it may be half the lecture. It often helps some of the students to relate those "non-psychologically sounding" concepts (to them) back to psychology when they're wondering why in the world the text is going on and on about x, y, and z if you're able to supplement it with a well-thought lecture from outside the book to directly & neatly tie it all together for them. (Of course, this may not be as big of an issue for abnormal. :p)