about 60% uworld first pass, how to get 250+ on step 2 ck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Everyones_a_rat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did uworld once, about 60% first pass, how can I get 250+ on step 2 ck? I have read about every book possible. I have read Step up to medicine, step up to ck, MTB2/3, kaplan books, first aid psych, step 2 secrets, case files, Bible KJV.

Members don't see this ad.

That's honestly a ton of resources, did you read all of them before starting uworld? There are plenty of stories you can find of people scoring above a 250 on CK without using anything else besides uworld. My advice would be that your approach involves way too many cooks in the kitchen. Focus on one or two of those books as a supplement to uworld and go from there. Also, when you are going over the answers, make sure that you understanding why you not only got the answer right/wrong, but also why all of the OTHER answers are right/wrong. This is time-consuming but extremely helpful; for CK you need to be able to very quickly rule out what cannot be correct and narrow your answers down to usually two things that present similarly (with some nuances).

270+ CK FWIW

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did uworld once, about 60% first pass, how can I get 250+ on step 2 ck? I have read about every book possible. I have read Step up to medicine, step up to ck, MTB2/3, kaplan books, first aid psych, step 2 secrets, case files, Bible KJV.

Are you an IMG? Most US students don't use so many materials (I'm an IMG myself). 60% is good but not great, given your overwhelming amount of preparation. I think you need to step back and analyze how you used the resources. Did you just read them for the sake of it or did you actually analyze and try to understand each and every concept presented in the books and qbank explanations? Also, studying that many resources would have taken an extremely long time, and I'm guessing you would have forgotten all the material studied at the beginning of your study period. It's much better to stay simple and be able to really go through and analyze each and every word in UW explanations and be done. A lot of my IMG friends prepared this way, with just random timed UW, one block a day, really delving deep into it. Some supplemented with a text like MTB or FA or Step Up, but that's it. One or 2 books and UW, and really taking your time with them.

I also suggest you do all the questions from the Clinical Mastery Series (CMS) assessments by NBME. And when you do them, make sure to really think about questions you got wrong and read up on the topic, maybe use UpToDate and read the summary and recommendations for the topic. It's active learning and the best way to retain info.

Good luck!

That's honestly a ton of resources, did you read all of them before starting uworld? There are plenty of stories you can find of people scoring above a 250 on CK without using anything else besides uworld. My advice would be that your approach involves way too many cooks in the kitchen. Focus on one or two of those books as a supplement to uworld and go from there. Also, when you are going over the answers, make sure that you understanding why you not only got the answer right/wrong, but also why all of the OTHER answers are right/wrong. This is time-consuming but extremely helpful; for CK you need to be able to very quickly rule out what cannot be correct and narrow your answers down to usually two things that present similarly (with some nuances).

270+ CK FWIW

"There are plenty of stories you can find of people scoring above a 250 on CK without using anything else besides uworld."

That's extremely common among US med students because you guys have shelf exams that are by NBME, and are used to navigating around that style of questioning. Also, alot of the US students do UW one time during third year and then in their 2 to 4 week dedicated period they do a second pass and then some incorrects and marked questions. Basically, info gets repeated three times and the backbone from studying for shelf exams is already there. This person seems like an IMG, given all the materials used, so that means that he/she is not used to the NBME style of questions and how to score. I think thats the issue here. Part of it is knowledge retention and the other part is test taking skills, and being able to narrow down choices and actually reason out the correct answer between 2 seemingly doable options, and trust intuition.

I got a 270 and literally only used uworld. Read the explanations thoroughly repeatedly until you feel very comfortable with them and the reasoning behind them.

I scored 265 using only uworld, supplementing some of my weaker peds topics with onlinemeded. The problem most of my friends ran into is that they had a weaker foundation from third year. This may be what you are struggling with

@blueshockey @Walletectomy @joker2400

Thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing your UWorld % (first pass), and NBME shelf scores during 3rd year?

Thanks!
I don't remember exactly my 1st pass during 3rd year, but I think it was 65-ish %. Shelf score in order that I took them were IM-87, FM-83, peds-89, surgery-90, OB- 85, psych 92, neuro 88

Thanks for the advice. Would you mind sharing your UWorld % (first pass), and NBME shelf scores during 3rd year?

Thanks!

I think my first pass was in the low 80s? I will say that I USUALLY used at least one reference text for my first pass through information, so it's not like I used uworld exclusively to learn from. IM-87, FM- school-administered, peds-school administered, surgery-90, OB- 86, psych 89, neuro 93; I don't remember what the national percentile amounted to for each of them, but my school only gives honors if you're above 90%, so it was at least above that for each of them

Last edited:

I Like this - Bible KJV.

Thanks!

First pass: I can't remember, maybe low 70s?

I believe my IM and surgery shelves were 83, everything else was in the ballpark of 85-89. I legit cried the day before CK because I didn't think I was prepared enough and was afraid I would blow my application with a good step 1 score and a bad step 2 score. Thought the exam was asinine and was really depressed afterwards until I got my score.