about columbia- (stargirl)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question concerning the housing. do you HAVE to live in the health science's allotted apartments? it just seems that the neighborhood isnt the greatest. do they allow students to live in apartments at or near the columbia main campus? also, do they give dental students access to all of the main campus' facilities, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DBB
i have a question concerning the housing. do you HAVE to live in the health science's allotted apartments?

NO of course not

it just seems that the neighborhood isnt the greatest. do they allow students to live in apartments at or near the columbia main campus?
If you can find one yourself

also, do they give dental students access to all of the main campus' facilities, etc.?
Yes i think so, at least the gym and library... i don't know what else you would need.

I know a first-year at columbia who lives off-campus. You do have access to the main campus facilities like the library....but health science students have to pay $41/semester for the gym.

Members don't see this ad :)
how would i go about finding an apartment near/ on the main campus??? any suggestions?

Hi DBB,

When I used to take the 1/9 train from 116th Street up to 168th Street back during my undergrad days at Columbia, it can take upwards of 30 minutes. You sure you want to commute from the 116th Street Campus?

Well, if you do, here's the link to help you find housing around 116th Street: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ire/

HTH!

it takes 15 minutes...you're there before you know it!

Try as I might, I don't think I've ever gotten from the 116th Street Campus up to the Health Sciences Campus in 15 minutes.

Walk from whereever it is you are coming from to the 116th Street station: 5-10 minutes.

Wait for the LOCAL 1/9 train (there are no express trains at 116th Street). During rush hour you might get a train every 3 minutes or so.

The Local 1/9 stops at every station between 116th and 168th. 15 minutes for just the train ride itself, yes, if there isn't any congestion.

Budget another 5-10 minutes to walk to your destination once you get out at 168th Street.

30 minutes, at least.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! :laugh:

I get the impression that living on campus saves you quite a bit of money. I wish there was better rail service from the Fort Lee area to Columbia's campus. Getting from Elizabeth, NJ to midtown is quite easy and you can save quite a bit on rent.

you can live in fort lee.... one of my classmmate does it and rides his bike over on warm days and i think he takes a train or bus or something on cold days....

there is a free shuttle service between the 116th campus and the 168 campus..... takes about 20-25min. I think it leaves every 30 min to 1 hr.

Never mind, my question would have taken this discussion off-topic.