? about hospitalist job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any hospitalist out there or resident searching right now for a hospitalist positions I have a few questions regarding job search.

1- Did you use a recruiter firm or did it on your own? If you did it on your own what approach you took to finding which hospital had openings etc.

2- Other than salary, schedule, patient load (max # etc), if they require for u to put lines and intubation, paid malpractice, health insurance what other type of questions are good to ask?

3- How those the bonus thing works?

thanks in advance.

Im a second year but have already started receiving offers but from recruiting firms.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are great questions.
My impression is that just like in other fields/occupations, in medicine a lot of the best jobs are not advertised, but are found by networking. You could check out the best hospital(s) in your city and/or affiliated with your medical center to see whether they hire hospitalists.

My friend was a hospitalist x 1 year before doing ID fellowship, and I think she found her position through a search firm. She said it was good, but sometime she had up to 30 patients, which is a lot. She said she thinks one of the most important questions to ask/find out is whether this is a well established hospitalist program - if it's brand new there is more chance of a lot of problems with the scheduling and also maybe having too many patients, and just for things not to be run well.