? about LECOM's reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've talked to a few people about LECOM. Some said that it doesn't have a very good reputation and the DO's from there aren't that good. WHY? Does it have a bad rep because it's a strict school and fairly new? How do students perform on the boards???

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Green and Doctortobee,

I am currently a first year at LECOM, so I can give you the low-down on specific questions about the school. I will tell you about what made me decide on LECOM. When I had to decide between I was put in touch with someone from my hometown who had just graduated from LECOM. He had nothing but great things to say about the school and the faculty. They prepared him well, he was where he wanted to be, and they invited him back to teach actually. He was in PCOM's post-bacc program, was accepted to both PCOM and LECOM, and chose LECOM. Obviously he saw something in LECOM that stood out, and I think that's how you have to go about it. We are extremely well-respected in the Erie community and in PA (and probably elsewhere too I'm sure). We're opening another branch of the school in Florida in the next few years-obviously we're doing something right. A large allopathic hospital (within top 50 for heart care) near us (that originally wanted nothing to do with the school) now is providing the largest number of clinical rotation sites to our students. This says something about the quality of students from this school. When I volunteered at a health care screening at the local mall, I spoke with a doctor from that large hospital and he said that LECOM produces some great students--well-dressed, knowledgable, and enthusiastic.

There are also things to complain about within the school (but I won't proceed to list those things publically). You have to weigh the good with the bad. The school will take care of you, and that's what matters. We're getting a fine education in wonderful facilities with faculty who make an effort to get to know you. And the school listens to its students.

Many people on this board and elsewhere bash LECOM because of our dress code and attendance policy. People bash LECOM because of not having food in the lecture hall. It's not "high school", it's respectful. If I were lecturing in front of students I wouldn't want them to be chomping away on a breakfast sandwich. But that's just me I guess.

Hope that helps.

njdo

Thanks for the info njdo. It does seem that some people are overly focused on a few of LECOM's rules. If that's the extent of the "problems", then I'd imagine it's as good or better then any other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the pharmacy program at LECOM so I can only speak from that perspective. From what I have seen, LECOM has an excellent reputation in the community. When I moved to the area most people I talked to knew what the abbreviation LECOM meant and stood for, including a hotel I staid in about 20 miles from the college. I haven't been able to get one person in the area to say anything negative about the school. I believe the addition of the pharmacy school will only help make the school stronger.....
I know a lot of people talk about the couple of rules that LECOM has, but the rules are really not that burdensome. After the first day you never even think about them.

Just exactly what is the dress code and attendance policy?

Originally posted by bonjuju
Just exactly what is the dress code and attendance policy?

Mandatory attendance (from what I am told, it is not strictly enforced) and professional attire - this means a shirt and tie. Professiona attire is not required for some of the labs though (anatomy and OMT).

Shirt and tie for women as well? I am interviewing there on the 16th.
:)

Women have it a lot easier....girls have the choice of either wearing a skirt, dress, or they can just just wear nice pants (not jeans) with a shirt/sweater....:D

talk about double standard :eek:

lol! sorry, on-going joke between my girlfriend and I... :p

LECOM offers a choice of the main campus in Erie, Pennsylvania with an additional location in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, and the branch campus in Bradenton, Florida; a choice of careers in medicine or pharmacy; and your choice of student-centered learning styles for medicine: traditional, problem-based learning, independent studies and a three-year Primary Care Scholars Pathway.
Does LECOM have 3 campuses in 2 different states? :eek: Someone please help clarify this!

Does LECOM have 3 campuses in 2 different states? :eek: Someone please help clarify this!

yes, 3 campuses: 2 in PA, 1 in Fl. The Greensburg/seton hill university campus is closely affiliated with the Erie campus from what I have heard, while the Bradenton Fl campus is more independent of the main campus. Seton hill and Bradenton only offer the Problem based learning curriculum. While the Erie campus offer all the curriculum choices.

ps: and do you realize you bumped a thread from 2002?

For me, and this is only my opinion. I wouldn't be able to stand that dress code. I want to be relax when I'm learning and I guess I'm not use to wearing a shirt and tie to classes.

For me, and this is only my opinion. I wouldn't be able to stand that dress code. I want to be relax when I'm learning and I guess I'm not use to wearing a shirt and tie to classes.

I understand what you are saying, I just think that sometimes people equate the dress code with not being a good school. I know you aren't saying that. Yes, LECOM has a lot of rules (or so I've read from SDN) but that doesn't address what kind of physicians it turns out.