about letter of recommendation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

laee3

So I'm getting ready to apply for 2008 app cycle. I know, it sounds little bit too early (seeing that some of you're getting ready to apply for 2007 cycle right now lol) Anyways, I really would want this chem professor to write me of letter of recommendation right now, since I will most likely not see him next year(due to transferring). Anyways, should i ask for it and keep it myself until I have to apply? How does it work? Does letter of rec have to be sealed when you send them? I assume not, since you have to send multiple copies. Therefore should i ask for it now, and keep it until next 2008~2009 cycle?? And one more thing, do you think it will matter if my letter of recommendation comes for Junior college professor? He has a Phd in chemistry, so I don't think it should matter. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm getting ready to apply for 2008 app cycle. I know, it sounds little bit too early (seeing that some of you're getting ready to apply for 2007 cycle right now lol) Anyways, I really would want this chem professor to write me of letter of recommendation right now, since I will most likely not see him next year(due to transferring). Anyways, should i ask for it and keep it myself until I have to apply? How does it work? Does letter of rec have to be sealed when you send them? I assume not, since you have to send multiple copies. Therefore should i ask for it now, and keep it until next 2008~2009 cycle?? Thanks for in advance :D

u send the letter of rec to aadsas. Yes it must be sealed. AADSAS will forward letters to each school.

what about pre-health commitee, at universities? I was little bit confused about that since I thought we have to forward all the letters to aadsas. So what is pre-health commitee good for??

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through a pre-health committee. I requested LORs from my professors and dentists. They sent the letters to the committee, and when all was put together, the committee interviewed me. The way they explained it to me was that they pretty much compiled all the info and wrote a composite letter for me, with everything attached, with their opinion of me as an applicant. The committee is also supposed to be good as somewhat of a preparation for the real dental interviews, but the questions they asked me were nothing like my real interviews. I think the committee is a good idea, and if your university has one, I believe it is preferred to use it. And they did forward everything to AADSAS.

thank you for the reply. So should i still ask him? and keep the letter and forward it to pre-health commitee later? As long as it's sealed, it should be fine, correct?

For my experience, I never got to handle the letters. I requested them and I had to give the LOR matching form to the professors, and they would send them directly to AADSAS/committee (I also had a committee form). The new cycle opens up again in May, so if you can maybe inform your chem professor that you would like a letter but that you have to wait to submit it, maybe he can have it ready for when you can enter it. If anything, you can try to keep contact with that professor and get the letter later. If you go through the committee, maybe you could have him send it to them before AADSAS opens, and they'd have it on file for you. Maybe ask your committee how they go about accepting and submitting the letters.

you can ask the professor to write the letter now and keep it on file for you. when may 15th rolls around, have him send it to aadsas, and you're good to go.

My school has a very convenient LOR holding service. So I don't have to have all the LOR writing profs prepared to write me LORs on cue in May.

You may be able to avoid that scramble - check with your school's advising center.

thank you very much! phew so does it matter whether he teaches at junior college? I think he's capable of teaching at university and he has before. So do you think him being a jr. college professor, will make my app less competitive???

What about using interfolio?

thank you very much! phew so does it matter whether he teaches at junior college? I think he's capable of teaching at university and he has before. So do you think him being a jr. college professor, will make my app less competitive???

a good letter of rec is a good letter of rec. most schools don't look at the person writing the letter, but rather the content of the letter. i mean this professor still is a PhD right?

it is much better to get someone that can write a solid letter of rec for you, even though he might not be as known, than a world renoun professor that doesn't know you too well

My school has a pre-health department where professors can send the LORs. Our advisor actually recommends sending it to them and they send it out to all the schools, instead of sending LORs to AADSAS because they take a lot longer. Also if we bring the letter in, they must make a note saying that, even if it was sealed. But I don't know if it's the same for other schools.