about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoLAClippers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've learned that most schools require three letters of rec for one-year Masters. Do these have to be from your school professors? I am already asking them to write letters for my med school app, so asking them to write another one for one-year Masters would not be a good idea. Can the letters be from your lab supervisors? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've learned that most schools require three letters of rec for one-year Masters. Do these have to be from your school professors? I am already asking them to write letters for my med school app, so asking them to write another one for one-year Masters would not be a good idea. Can the letters be from your lab supervisors? Thanks

It depends on the program, but the ones I applied to either wanted a composite letter i.e. the committee letter that you would send to medical schools or 2 letters from professors and one additional letter. Eastern Virginia Medical School wanted 3 (2 from academic faculty). Drexel wants 3 letters (2 from science professors and 1 additional) or a composite letter from your school. I think Georgetown was the same as Drexel. The people I asked to write me a letter for the special master's program were the same people I asked to write one for medical school. Upon asking them to write me a letter for the master's programs, I gave them reasons as to why I was applying to them and I also gave them information about each school so that they could tailor their letter to a specific program. I don't see why that is a bad idea. If they thought you were a good candidate for medical school, surely they would think that you're a good one for a master's. Hope this helps.

I'm a Loyola MAMS student (1 year Masters), and everyone I know in the program just used the same letters that they sent to Med schools. The MAMS program expects that. Here's an excerpt from their website:

Applicants to the M.A. Medical Sciences will be accepted only if they will benefit from the program. Thus they must already be good candidates for admission to medical school except for a need to strengthen their academic transcript. Applicants must hold the baccalaureate with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better, and all medical school pre-requisites must have already been completed (one year of biology, two years of chemistry, one year of physics and one year of math). Applicants will be strongly encouraged to have completed at least the equivalent of an undergraduate minor in one of the natural sciences. Application documents must include:

* An application to the Loyola University of Chicago Graduate School (NOT the Biomedical Sciences programs at the Medical School)
* Official MCAT scores, with a minimum required score of 25
* Undergraduate transcripts
* A personal statement and autobiography
* History form detailing work/volunteer experience, education , extracurricular activities and other relevant information
* Three letters of recommendation appropriate for a medical school application

The deadline for Fall admission is July 1. Applications will be reviewed as soon as they are complete.

If you have anymore questions, email them at [email protected], they are really really helpful! :)