1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

about money

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by iamteeth, Dec 16, 2008.

1. iamteeth

iamteeth Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    How many years can we pay off the student loan after getting the degree? If I do not have much money right now, and no green card (but I think I can find a co-signer), do you think it will be a big burden for me to pay those tuition? Will we get a really stressful life in the first couple of years?

And I am a single girl, no sugar daddy :(

2. iamteeth

iamteeth Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Did I ask stupid question? Why nobody reply?

Really want to know if the money is a big problem to a FTD. I am gonna get my Phd in U.S. soon. I have chances to be a dental anatomy teacher. Someone suggested me I can do teaching first, then transfer to clinic (probably with lower tuition, but maybe need longer time and a little bit more work) It sounds good, but I am not sure if it is workable. Going to school may be more straightforward, if money is not a huge burden.

Please tell me what you think. Thank you.

3. La fea

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ok this is just me- I find the term sugar daddy a little offensive. Most ppl don't have sugar daddies. They get what they have the old fashioned way- by working hard at it.

200k+ tuition is a big deal. If you can arrange a co signer, you may get a loan, with decent interest rates. You will have 15-25 years(depending on your lender) to pay it back. Will you be able to do it? IMO yes.

I also think getting a DDS/DMD is the straight forward, simple way to practice dentistry in this country. But you should do what works in your life- RDH, teaching, working in Minnesota...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. skabbaraju

skabbaraju Unbound Imagination
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    La Fea is right. I second her/his thoughts.
    Why do you think the tuition is so high, because Dentistry is a sought after profession. If you do the math, its really not a big deal to pay off the student loans in a few years (especially because you are single). Assuming you have no other financial obligations, you should be fine.
    Again, I don't know your reasons behind choosing Dentistry as career but if this is what you dreamt about, go for it. Money is secondary, Agree?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...