Feb 12, 2010
Status
In 2003 I plead guilty to 3 misdemeanors. The charges included simple assault, corruption of minors, and disorderly conduct. As a result I served 10 months in jail, paid fines, and completed probation. I was 19 years old at the time. I obviously made some bad decisions, that resulted in the previously stated legal reprimands. Please keep in mind that this is the only time I have ever been in legal trouble.
These events were very unfortunate for me, but they lead to a major turning point in my life that molded me into the great person that I am today. I certainly made some bad decisions during that time period. However, what is more important is the fact that I turned a new chapter and grew into a far more responsible individual.
Now, I am worried that my 7 year old criminal history will be a major obstacle, when I apply to dental schools, even though it only includes misdemeanor offenses. I am looking for guidance regarding this issue. I just don't want this history to misconstrue who I am today. Should I be concerned about this? What can I do to improve my chances of convincing dental schools to look past this issue? Any suggestions will help.

Last edited:

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
In 2003 I plead guilty to 3 misdemeanors. The charges included simple assault, corruption of minors, and disorderly conduct. As a result I served 10 months in jail, paid fines, and completed probation. I was 19 years old at the time. I obviously made some bad decisions, that resulted in the previously stated legal reprimands. Please keep in mind that this is the only time I have ever been in legal trouble.
These events were very unfortunate for me, but they lead to a major turning point in my life that molded me into the great person that I am today. I certainly made some bad decisions during that time period. However, what is more important is the fact that I turned a new chapter and grew into a far more responsible individual.
Now, I am worried that my 7 year old criminal history will be a major obstacle, when I apply to dental schools, even though it only includes misdemeanor offenses. I am looking for guidance regarding this issue. I just don't want this history to misconstrue who I am today. Should I be concerned about this? What can I do to improve my chances of convincing dental schools to look past this issue? Any suggestions will help.

right on. kudos to you for making a change. if you get an interview at Midwestern, hit me up. i garuntee you will at least be treated fairly. good luck.

drsomeday1

Jun 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Show on your application(s) that you have changed. Counter your misdemeanors with lots of service. Get good letters of recommendation so the admission committees can see your good character from other peoples' perspectives. Also, don't try to just brush it aside and ignore it, hoping they won't see it. Rather, address it quickly, as a matter of fact, show how you changed, and move onto the good things about yourself. Just don't focus too much on telling them your not that same guy. In short, show, don't tell.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
All you can do is express this in one of your essays. Remember- dental schools will know you screwed up. You obviously know you screwed up. Don't try to avoid or hide this fact during the interview. Show that you understand you were wrong and show some maturity. That is the best thing you can do. Good luck!

InMyCrossHairs

#1 GUNNER
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
10 months in jail...for three misdemeanors? That doesnt sound right. Either you had a great attornery who plead down the charges, or a horrible attorney. I have seen misdemeanors on applications before, we are usually pretty cool about that, but 10 months in jail would throw a red flap if I was looking at it. I am just wondering, and if I were you I wouldnt answere it, but what really happened?

That being said, I dont think this means you shouldnt get into dental school. We all make mistakes, and unfortunately for you, you got caught and punished. I wish you the best.

G

gorrillaunit18

I can see a few speeding tickets here and there, but DANG! I do wish you all the best of luck though. :D

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
Status
Dentist
my best friends have been to jail...it's only luck that my life has gone 1 way rather than the other. criminals are more "my peoples" than squeeky clean library commandos.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Perhaps you would like to work as a prison dentist now that you have seen this side of dentistry- you might even put this in your essay. You may also be interested in working in other areas of public health dentistry.

Quattro DMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Dallas, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know people who have gotten DUI's and were still accepted to dental school. And even though you served time you still may be able to get in, but what happens when you apply for your license after graduation? The state licensing board looks at that kind of stuff. I'm not trying to be a downer, just realistic.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
Sounds like drunken foolery.

I wouldn't include it in your personal statement. But when asked in your interview, be honest.

Aug 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Have you looked into having your record sealed/expunged/whatever your state calls it? In many cases you can have one of the above mentioned done and can then legally say that you have never been convicted of the crime(s). I'm not sure how you would want to play it from there but at least you may be able to have a "clean" record again. 7 years is a reasonably long time. I made a series of mistakes when younger, and unfortunately one again last year that I am currently dealing with. I am very concerned that my past choices will affect my ability to get into dental school. It looks like there will be a new centralized criminal background check being implemented through the AADSAS for the 2011 application cycle as well FYI. Anyway, good luck.

Aug 29, 2006
New York
Status
Dentist
Cannot speak for ds adcoms as do not deal with them frequently. I do know that some schools investigate things more thoroughly than others, but that is a whole other story. The med school I am affiliated with would not grant even an interview. The rationale is that there are so many qualified candidates without this blemish that why bother. Sorry to relate this info, but you must be aware that this is no small matter. I would also check with any and all states that you might consider working in and determine if this record will limit your licensure opportunities. This is not meant to judge you, as you may be a wonderful person and deserving of many opportunities, but you should explore things before becoming overly committed to the lengthy and expensive admissions process.

coolfez

Removed
Mar 20, 2010
Status
In what state did this happen in?

And 10 month in jail seems like a lot for only 3 misdemeanors. From what you described, sounds like you're lawyer didn't plead down the case. Or unless, there was more than 3 misdemeanors at first and it already got pleaded down.

Was the jail sentence served because you messed up probation, didn't pay a fine?, or serve your community service?

Just need all the info before I can answer that question. I have a uncle who is a lawyer so i can ask him for you. PM me if you want