About my gpa and DAT scores!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

semaJ610

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UCSC and am currently studying for DATs but I dont have a good gpa. I was wondering what is the minimum gpa required to apply to dental schools. I have an overall gpa of 2.96 and science gpa which i havent calculated is aproximately 2.7 i think. Am I still eligible to get into a Dental school if I score a DAT score of around 21-22. I was just wondering what are my chances in getting into a dental school. Thanks again and hope you guys can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

That GPA is just too low. You might by some miracle get in with a bomb DAT score, but seriously you have to have a better science GPA.

One of the dentists who interviewed me said he had a 2.8 and a 21 on the DAT and he got in to school. Always hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would retake some of your lowest grades in science & study really hard to blow the Dat out of the water.

Dont let these ppl fool you. I have a 3.01 and science gpa of 2.75 and i'm still getting interviews this cycle. There is always hope.

2.96 overall and 2.7 science???? you will not get in unless you have a graduate program gpa that is really high. either that or you will have to be a minority (african american, hispanic, native american) to have even a shot at it. in all honesty, why accept someone with a 2.7 gpa and 22 on DAT when there are plenty of 3.6 with 22 DAT? needless to say you have not even scored a 22 on the DAT yet. not hating, but i suggest you look foward to a master's program and rock those DATs in the near future. btw i am a reapplicant so i have some experience with not getting in. :(

in all honesty, why accept someone with a 2.7 gpa and 22 on DAT when there are plenty of 3.6 with 22 DAT?

Yeah, there are some out there with those scores. But there are plenty more with a 3.2 and 19 AA DAT score applying. A 3.6 and 22 AA is way higher than most schools average GPA and DAT scores for their matriculating class.

Do you guys really think that with stellar DATs adcoms would still give an applicant with a low gpa a chance? From what I've been seeing, it looks like gpa still out rules eveything else. And if your DATs do get you somewhere with a low gpa how high would it realistically have to be?

Yeah, there are some out there with those scores. But there are plenty more with a 3.2 and 19 AA DAT score applying. A 3.6 and 22 AA is way higher than most schools average GPA and DAT scores for their matriculating class.

yup you are correct. 3.2 with 19AA......3.3 with 20AA....3.1 with 21AA...i mean the list goes on and on. regardless, there isn't much room for people with BOTH gpas below 3.0. and my point was that those spots are generally leeways reserved for minorities. to the OP, you have to realize the the DAT shows a 2-4 month commitment to studying for a standardized test. an applicant's gpa represents 3-4 years of commitment. therefore gpa is a very big chunk of your application weight. you can't just expect to bust a DAT 22 and that erases the 3-4 years where you did not perform as well as other students in college.

Do you guys really think that with stellar DATs adcoms would still give an applicant with a low gpa a chance? From what I've been seeing, it looks like gpa still out rules eveything else. And if your DATs do get you somewhere with a low gpa how high would it realistically have to be?

see my above opinion. of course there will be 1-2-3-4 or 5 students a year that seem to get in with very low GPAs but have scored well on the DAT, but those are rare and few. you then have to look closer into their application. did they overcome a dramatic circumstance? are they a minority? have they completed additional graduate education? military service? from my experience i've seen more balanced applicants (3.5 gpa with 20AA) get interviews than unbalanced applicants (3.0 gpa with 22AA). in the end a lot of us end up finding a way in one way or another. goodluck! :thumbup: