about nyu international programs for int'l dental graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterjam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,

I am an international dentist from India and I am very much interested in joining this int'l program , please tell me what are the job prospects for international dentists who finish this program because most probably i will stay back in the US after finishing the program and i will not be going back to my home country .

In the case of working as a tutor (teacher ) in a dental school after i finish this program ,there are highly qualified DDS doctors and people who have finished their MS ,so why will any dental school prefer me to teach over them .

Is this a certificate program or a degree program ,will it be recognised in the US

Approximately what will be the salary in case i work with this degree

Suppose I do the orthodontics 1 year program ,will I be able to assist an orthodontist in his clinic without actually directly working on the patient but simply assisting the orthodontist with his work ( because I do not have licensure to work on the patient ) ,what I want to know is will any practicing dentist hire me like that .

I am sorry I have asked too many questions ,but i just want to make sure I am joining the right course , becuse I cannot join an other course again if I had chosen the wrong course .

I am sorry about the inconvinience I have given you and the time I have taken but please just answer how much you can now .

I HAVE GIVEN MY PART 1 AND GOT 81 AND I GETTING REJECTION AFTER REJECTION AND I HAVE TO GET INTO SOME PROGRAM THIS YEAR

ANY HELP WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

butterjam said:
Dear friends,

In the case of working as a tutor (teacher ) in a dental school after i finish this program ,there are highly qualified DDS doctors and people who have finished their MS ,so why will any dental school prefer me to teach over them ......

....There is very little chance of being hired by any dental school with DDS/DMD degree only. You will need to pursue Certificate/MS program and get a speaciality certificate in order to be hired by a dental school.

Is this a certificate program or a degree program ,will it be recognised in the US......

.....You are a SDN member since 2004 and applied to few colleges already. I hope you are not kidding and this is a serious enquiry. I am starting NYU program In August this year and you question scares me. Of course it is recognised.

Approximately what will be the salary in case i work with this degree.....

......If you have a H1 visa or work-permit then anywhere between $50,000 and $100,000

Suppose I do the orthodontics 1 year program ,will I be able to assist an orthodontist in his clinic without actually directly working on the patient but simply assisting the orthodontist with his work ( because I do not have licensure to work on the patient ) ,what I want to know is will any practicing dentist hire me like that ....

.....You can assist any dentist/orthodontist without having a dental degree provided you have a work permit

I HAVE GIVEN MY PART 1 AND GOT 81 AND I GETTING REJECTION AFTER REJECTION AND I HAVE TO GET INTO SOME PROGRAM THIS YEAR

ANY HELP WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED......

.....Please retake part I as you will never get into any advanced standing DDS/DMD program in USA with that score.

rahmed

Hey rahmed, as far as I know,. the international MS programs for foreign dentists is not ADA approved.

Please check again

Members don't see this ad :)
BDS-DMD said:
Hey rahmed, as far as I know,. the international MS programs for foreign dentists is not ADA approved.

Please check again

Right on BDS-DMD. I got it wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

So,

Hey butterjam

DDS advance placement is recognised & NOT the International Programs for Intl dentists. Sorry for th error

rahmed

i heard some people still join this program, why? ifts not approved by ADA then whats the point of doing it? will it help in getting into nyu later?
thanks

dentaldorky said:
i heard some people still join this program, why? ifts not approved by ADA then whats the point of doing it? will it help in getting into nyu later?
thanks

Couple of years ago (?2003) someone with score of 80 were accepted after attending a NYU program for International dentists for a year.

rahmed

The people who usually join it are either planning to go back to their home countries to practice after taking the program to further their skill set...or more likely they have a low score and have applied to the advanced placement and did not make it in or were waitlisted....quite a few people who have done the intl program have made it into the ap program when reapplying, or if being waitlisted.

hey friends ,

but mu ques was what are the job opportunities after i finish that 1 year int'l program in nyu

thanks all of you for your help ,but any help regarding this will be appreciated

Khurram said:
The people who usually join it are either planning to go back to their home countries to practice after taking the program to further their skill set...or more likely they have a low score and have applied to the advanced placement and did not make it in or were waitlisted....quite a few people who have done the intl program have made it into the ap program when reapplying, or if being waitlisted.

I highly doubt it'll help you get a job after doing it...at least nothing more than a dental assistant possibly...it doesn't qualify you to practice...i suppose it would be just something that looks good on ure resume if you apply as an assistant or something..

other than that it's not really worth much unless you plan to learn the skills and go back to your home country to apply them to your practice