About OHSU and Oregon in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jschoi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone from Oregon or familiar with this state?
I visited there last monday for an interview with OHSU

Although I liked the school, the city wasn't all that impressing
it could be that I was expecting too much, but seemed like even the downtown area didnt have much to do

I only stayed there for 2 days so I couldnt have seen everything

I know there is one part of the city I didn't get to go which is down the hill from OHSU through a gondola or cable car, but wondering if there is anything impressing down there?

Any comments about OHSU or Oregon as a state in general would be appreciated.

Obviously, I care alot about the city cuz I will be living there for at least 4 years if I attend there. I've been living in Tucson, AZ for 4 yrs now and I hate this city. NOTHING to do, no fun. It sucks to live in a city like Tucson, and if I can, I want to avoid living in this kinda city.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it matters, but a few friends of mine went to graduate school there and mentioned an overall lack of diversity, racial homogeneity so to speak. I'm not sure if that's the case at the dental school though. If this isn't an issue for you at all, then just take it as random info.

I am pretty familiar with Portland. There are things to do in the area but not too much (at least not for me, but maybe I'm just sick of the place now). Mountains and ocean are only a few hours away (though the ocean is usually freaking cold so it's not like you'd be swimming there). Lots of places to go hiking and do outdoorsy things around the area if you like that. Lots of bars and strip clubs in the city if you like that sort of thing. Places to go hear live music or see live theater too. Lots of places to eat, including a ton of food carts all over the city. For Asian food, don't go to "Chinatown" (which is now filled with more bars and clubs than ethnic shops/restaurants) -- the Asian community has been pushed out to the east edge of Portland (or the surrounding suburb areas).

Kahr is right -- it is not very diverse here. I have heard that it is one of the whitest cities in the US ("major" cities, if you consider Portland a "major" city). And the lack of diversity is more than just racial. Like Kahr though, I'm not sure about the dental school so your experience may be different. Plus when you make friends in dental school, things will be more fun anywhere (vs just visiting a city alone for two days).

Oh, and there isn't really anything impressive about the area down by the lower end of the tram. I guess the city was trying to improve that area down by the waterfront. I believe there are some new-ish condos down there but that went bust and I think they are mostly empty. There are a few restaurants down there though. If OHSU gets the approval, I think the new dental school will be down in that area.

But speaking of the waterfront, further north on the waterfront is where they usually have festivals during the summer (beer festivals, jazz festivals, the city's Rose festival, etc). Summers here are pretty nice. Winters suck unless you are into gloomy, gray, rainy weather and don't suffer from SAD.

Portland is not a bad place. I am personally sick of it, but four years is not a long time (esp when you'll be so busy in dental school anyway). Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you about Portland. (Again, keep in mind this is all coming from my burnt out view of Portland.)