? about phsyics requirements

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by TBuffie, Sep 18, 2002.

1. TBuffie

TBuffie New Member

Hello all, new to the board!

Anyway, I have a question: I'm working on my BSc in something :D haven't declared/figured out a major yet, but I'm taking a physics class that isn't calculus based. Am I in trouble? I've read that you only need general physics, not calculus based, but other places I've heard otherwise.

Thanks!

Tyler

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Welcome TBuffie!

Non-calculus-based physics fulfills the pre-requisite. You can take either, but many people choose to take the non-calc version since it's a little easier on the GPA (this is true for the pre-meds at my school as well). "Physics for Poets"-type classes won't count, however. :)

4. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Non-calc. based fullfills the pre-reqs for all types of medical programs (OD,DO,MD,DPM,DVM,DDS). Just make sure it is not a principles of physics class.

5. OD2BMike

OD2BMike Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the "university physics" or whatever your school calls calculus physics, will look better for admissions. It shows that you're scientifically oriented.
    Also, after taking both classes...non-calculus physics in high school, and physics WITH calculus in undergrad, I think physics with calculus is the only way to really understand physics. If you felt comfortable with calculus 1, you should do fine in physics. 101 physics classes rarely use anything but basic calculus.

6. I took a sequence that had both algebra based and calc based physics on it. I thought the algebra based stuff was easier. Calculus does help you understand some concepts like Schrodinger's equation.