? about phsyics requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBuffie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the board!

Anyway, I have a question: I'm working on my BSc in something :D haven't declared/figured out a major yet, but I'm taking a physics class that isn't calculus based. Am I in trouble? I've read that you only need general physics, not calculus based, but other places I've heard otherwise.

Thanks!

Tyler

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome TBuffie!

Non-calculus-based physics fulfills the pre-requisite. You can take either, but many people choose to take the non-calc version since it's a little easier on the GPA (this is true for the pre-meds at my school as well). "Physics for Poets"-type classes won't count, however. :)

Non-calc. based fullfills the pre-reqs for all types of medical programs (OD,DO,MD,DPM,DVM,DDS). Just make sure it is not a principles of physics class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the "university physics" or whatever your school calls calculus physics, will look better for admissions. It shows that you're scientifically oriented.
Also, after taking both classes...non-calculus physics in high school, and physics WITH calculus in undergrad, I think physics with calculus is the only way to really understand physics. If you felt comfortable with calculus 1, you should do fine in physics. 101 physics classes rarely use anything but basic calculus.

I took a sequence that had both algebra based and calc based physics on it. I thought the algebra based stuff was easier. Calculus does help you understand some concepts like Schrodinger's equation.