About Prereqs- was an international student abroad but attending 4 year university in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peachyfz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick summary of my situation:
  • US citizen, attended school for 1 semester in an American university
  • Moved abroad and attended school as a full-time international student in a different country for 3 years
  • Transferred back to America to finish Bachelor's degree and apply to dental school
Because of this, I took most of my pre-reqs abroad (general biology and chemistry) and am currently retaking them at my 4-year university back in the US since I know international credits aren't accepted. Due to scheduling conflicts, I ended up taking all of my upper-division biology/chemistry courses first, and am taking general chemistry and biology in the upcoming school year which will be my last before graduating.

I have a 3.97 GPA and have gotten A's in organic chemistry, human anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, cell molecular biology, and so forth. My DAT gen chem/bio scores are both 22.

However, Tufts states:
"You should have completed all biology prerequisite coursework by the time of application."

Other schools I've spoken to about my weird situation said they don't mind as long as I finish all the pre-reqs before I matriculate. I was also hoping that my grades in upper division courses and DAT score made up for not having taken the gen bio/chem prereqs in the US yet. Schools will receive my international transcripts and see that I've technically completed them abroad as well.

Should I still apply to Tufts? I've read elsewhere they're strict with their requirements and want to avoid spending extra money on a school I won't qualify for anyways. Advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

However, Tufts states:
"You should have completed all biology prerequisite coursework by the time of application."
Should I still apply to Tufts? I've read elsewhere they're strict with their requirements and want to avoid spending extra money on a school I won't qualify for anyways. Advice appreciated!
You can always argue with Tufts that completion requirements states "should" rather than "must".

Reactions: 1 user