About this forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Reactions: 10 users
This forum is for any School X vs School Y thread right? including DO vs DO school threads and MD vs DO school threads? will old threads from School Specific Discussions <2016 forum be moved to here?

Thanks for this!

Reactions: 1 user
This forum is for any School X vs School Y thread right? including DO vs DO school threads and MD vs DO school threads? will old threads from School Specific Discussions <2016 forum be moved to here?

Thanks for this!
School x vs. y - yes! (including MD v DO v whatever) - we need to make sure this remains a civil discussion, I know some people that are rabidly 'true to their school.' :) Suggestions on groundrules would be helpful.

I don't know about moving the old SSD threads - that's up to our fellow members. If you'd like to post a poll to get a consensus, please post it in the main forum for better visibility.

School x vs. y - yes! (including MD v DO v whatever) - we need to make sure this remains a civil discussion, I know some people that are rabidly 'true to their school.' :) Suggestions on groundrules would be helpful.

I don't know about moving the old SSD threads - that's up to our fellow members. If you'd like to post a poll to get a consensus, please post it in the main forum for better visibility.

would it be possible to make this forum also a subforum for pre-osteo forums? similar to What Are My Chances? forum common to both.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a rule of this forum should be that the title has to be X vs Y

This will make it easy to look at old threads and more helpful for applicants.

Threads titled "I don't know what to do" or "What School" won't be as useful in future cycles

Reactions: 5 users

Threads titled "I don't know what to do" or "What School" won't be as useful in future cycles

Agreed!

I second this idea. I think it would make the search function so much more helpful with these kinds of threads/decisions.

I really like the School X vs. School Y title format, and would take it further with clarifying information (e.g. if waitlisted, MD/DO etc)

Also, it would be helpful to lay out the body of the post as:

School X (WL)
Pros
  • --
  • --

Cons
  • --
  • --

School Y
Pros
  • --
  • --

Cons
  • --
  • --

Summary: (One sentence with highlights)

For those members that want to post anonymously, this forum allows individuals to log-out and register a second account for posting.

Last edited:
@Lee & @Lucca I think also having a rule that says people shouldn't be asking OP about stats /LizzyM and EC should be created . This is to stop high achieving applicants to get their thread highjack by applicants or curious people about how OP landed these acceptances which should be done via DM.
It helps to keep the thread focused on its purpose which is to help choose between X and Y

@Lee & @Lucca I think also having a rule that says people shouldn't be asking OP about stats /LizzyM and EC should be created . This is to stop high achieving applicants to get their thread highjack by applicants or curious people about how OP landed these acceptances which should be done via DM.
It helps to keep the thread focused on its purpose which is to help choose between X and Y
We could have a poll to see if members would prefer this -- but either way threads should not be hijacked for that purpose.

I'd recommend members send a private message to a member for specific information and then they can choose to respond if desired.

Can I just say this sub forum seems to have been a huge success. There are plenty of first time posters posting in it (or throwaways) and there is almost always someone who has insight on the schools posting in. The last thing I noticed was the conversations usually help the poster figure out what is important to them and not just a money prestige sorting algorithm.

Last edited:
This isn't about the titles or formatting, but I wonder if we could request/recommend that people please update with their final decision when they make it, and maybe a short explanation as to why. I think that would definitely be helpful for future premeds searching the forum.

They could maybe also update the title with a final verdict; for example "school x vs school y: school y"

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (please direct me if its not), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any MD programs that give you the opportunity to incorporate math into your education, maybe by taking math courses through the university math department, pursuing a double degree, research in mathematical medicine, etc. Are there any programs with that focus/specialize in this area?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (please direct me if its not), but I was wondering if anyone knows of any MD programs that give you the opportunity to incorporate math into your education, maybe by taking math courses through the university math department, pursuing a double degree, research in mathematical medicine, etc. Are there any programs with that focus/specialize in this area?
I believe that the New Jersey medical school has that. Check on their website about distinguish program