1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

About to cry...AAMC 3: 26

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by orthoboy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. orthoboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#1 orthoboy, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gotta go

Pre-Medical
    Have you been doing any practice verbal before this test? If not, you really need to practice as much as you can. Especially on the AAMC tests, go through the verbal and really understand why you got the ones wrong that you did. Definitely read the passages you didnt get to and do those questions. Its a little late but you might want to go to the bookstore and pick up EK 101 verbal even just to practice timing, do a section test every day. Verbal is hard to bring up, you need to practice more with it.

With all that being said, I went up 3 points in verbal from one aamc test to the next. For the second test I got some earplugs, really concentrated on main idea, watched my timing, and just went with the answer I felt was the best.

4. orthoboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#3 orthoboy, Aug 20, 2011
  5. gotta go

Pre-Medical
    If you are taking a practice aamc, just do that verbal for the day, it is the best practice. When I take practice aamc's, after I finish it I first relax for a little bit and eat. Later, when I am not so burnt out from the test, I go through the verbal first because it is fresh in my mind.

I go through all my answers, right and wrong, and reread any passages that I had difficulty understanding. I understand why I got the ones wrong that I did and have started writing down why I got them wrong. Most of the ones I get wrong are just because I use incorrect details from the passages, the answers "trick" me into thinking they are right. Its kind of helps me look out for questions that I have been known to get wrong.

Also, I really try to concentrate and take a 5 second breather at the beginning of each passage. I shut my eyes and take an obnoxiously long breath in through my nose. I find it funny and it makes me smile so when i start I passage I am in a good state of mind (lol).

This is just what has seemed to help me improve (a little) on the verbal. I am not amazing it by any means, but have been getting 9-11 lately.

6. coyotelime

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If there is no way you can delay, I would do verbal 6 days a week. Make sure you take a break on the 7th day but do verbal from EK 101, TPRH Verbal Workbook, in that order(although you may not get to TPRH if your test is in 3 weeks).

This is CRUCIAL to your improvement in verbal. Review it on the following day(every question) and make sure you are nailing your mistakes. Also do a bit of reading in your spare time to get your speed and retention up to speed. You can handle doing an hour of verbal and reading in the same day, just don't do them one right after the other or you may burn out/experience brain failure.

7. BeancheBlanco

2+ Year Member

If you're planning on taking all the aamc tests, you better be sure you are getting what you want to get. There's no getting those tests back after you take them.

8. LawlasaurusRex

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are not getting the score you want, then I would look to applying next year instead. Your issue is verbal, and just working to beef up that skill alone will suck away any time you have left to boost up your sciences. Science is relatively easy to improve upon, but your verbal will hold you back, no matter what you get on the science. The sad part is, verbal is not something you can improve in 3 weeks. It takes months of practice to improve your comprehension skills and reading speed. Most people struggle to improve it by even 2 points.

Now if you want to take it anyways, save the later CBT's until sometime close to your test date. Those (especially test 11) are most reflective of the current feel of the MCAT. Focusing on your verbal, you need to spend as much time as you have remaining practicing it. Go out and buy EK 101 Verbal passages book and start cranking through them. Do about 5 a day. When you do them, do not worry about timing for the 1st week or so. Concentrate on figuring out the main idea of the passage is summarized in 1 brief sentence. Just knowing the main idea will help you answer many of the questions they throw at you. Write out what you think the author's tone is, their stance on the subject matter, is it an informative passage or persuasive, stuff like that.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

9. sweetness34

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, practice scores always changes, and hopefully for the better. Make sure to go over all the content well, and after taking practice test, see what was the problem. And see maybe if there is a particular area where you feel to study more. Hopefully, as test date approaches, the scores will improve. :)

10. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    26 isn't bad for your first test. I got a 21 (ouch) on mine, and then a 29 on the next one with almost no studying (my score admittedly went down ~2 points after that test, so there was a degree of luck involved in that 29). A LOT of the MCAT is just knowing how to take the test. If I have to retake the MCAT again, I won't even bother with content review, I'm just going to practice passages over and over again. There's no reason why you can't bring up your score several points in a few weeks.

11. orthoboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#10 orthoboy, Aug 20, 2011
  12. PingPongPro

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you go over practice tests (especially verbal) don't immediately look at the answer explanations. It tells you which ones are wrong and which is right, but before you get spoondfed the answer, make sure you try to rationalize to yourself why you think each wrong answer is wrong and why each right answer is right. You need to understand where you making mistakes in your line of thinking.

When the answer explanation says "the passage says..." and that is the only explanation given, that doesn't do anything for you since you will never have that same question/passage again. When you review your tests, shift your attention away from the passage, and focus more on yourself. You need to determine what is causing you to choose a wrong answer rather than determining what the right answer is. It is such a hard thing to do, but you need to find ways to improve your weaknesses, and telling your "I need to read better next time" isn't going to cut it.

13. MCVkid12

Medical Student
    How did u get a 6 on vr when you guessed on 3 passages? That is an amazing score for guessing on that much. The bright side to that is you definitely understood what was going on in the other vr passages so as long as you can fix your timing here, you'll be okay.

14. SephirothXR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First thing is first: It. WILL. go. up. You can also get lucky with passage topics. If I get a passage on torque, I might not do as well as a passage on say one on electromagnetism. Some of it is luck, but you slowly learn.

You have 3 weeks. If you are really determined to get it up, do this: Make a chart or list of what you got wrong. An actual list. Sometimes it's "careless mistake" or "lack of content knowledge about a charge accelerating rather than moving with constant velocity". The more specific you get, the better. Think of exactly what you were thinking when you took the test and what information in the passage would have helped you answer it. Then, think of why you chose it (e.g. I wanted to rush)Subconsciously you'll start to see the pattern. For verbal, do the same. Make a list of your most common mistakes. For example, mine were: not fully knowing the line between outside knowledge and passage information, not using knowledge of the main idea even though I knew what the main idea was, not showing interest in the passage and therefore not putting full attention. I guarantee you now that I don't make those mistakes as often b/c I study my chart of what I get wrong. You need to do that. Then you'll do good.