About to finish Ek verbal and TPR verbal .. What next ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabtq9s

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys & Gals

MY exam is in 18 days and I think I will finish EK verbal 101 and the Princeton Verbal Workbook in the coming 4-5 days... what other good verbal books do you recommend to buy? or should I redo my 2 books again ?

Thanks alot :thumbup:

-----

sorry one last q

Does this book

MCAT%20101%20Verbal%202nd%20Edition.jpg

have the same material as this book ?

41DWSDJ0GZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

cause I finished the latter

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can get the official guide on the AAMC website - i heard its good. I wouldnt do passages again - regardless if you beleive it or not, you will remember too much for this to be valuable. I heard the VR passages in both books are the same except some were cut out for the shorter version

I have a question for you. I did TPR, now starting Ek and getting my butt handed to me. What did you think of them both?

I finish Ek quicker but find it much harder to feel good about the answers. for TPR, it took me longer but the questions were more concrete.

any thoughts?

thanks
steve

Guys & Gals

MY exam is in 18 days and I think I will finish EK verbal 101 and the Princeton Verbal Workbook in the coming 4-5 days... what other good verbal books do you recommend to buy? or should I redo my 2 books again ?

Thanks alot :thumbup:

-----

sorry one last q

Does this book

MCAT%20101%20Verbal%202nd%20Edition.jpg

have the same material as this book ?

41DWSDJ0GZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

cause I finished the latter

thanks

You can get the official guide on the AAMC website - i heard its good. I wouldnt do passages again - regardless if you beleive it or not, you will remember too much for this to be valuable. I heard the VR passages in both books are the same except some were cut out for the shorter version

I have a question for you. I did TPR, now starting Ek and getting my butt handed to me. What did you think of them both?

I finish Ek quicker but find it much harder to feel good about the answers. for TPR, it took me longer but the questions were more concrete.

any thoughts?

thanks
steve

EK is more like the MCAT. You will have to get a feel for the right answer. TPR often takes exact quote questions where you can be 100% sure that you are right. You finish faster because TPR makes there tests harder by adding more language or forcing you to go back to the passage. EK tends to rely more on the main idea and inference rather than paraphrase or details.

hey thanks for the post,

For me TPR was definitely harder than EK ... infact I alternated daily between them.. one day I would do EK and expect to get good results the next day I would do TPR and prepare myself for the bad score.. and my expectations were accurate for the majority of the time..

I just hope the MCAT is similar to EK .. I had too many passages in TPR that were utterly unbearable to read but I still went through them to prepare for the worst

plz keep me posted if you (or anybody else reading this) find any other books other than the official MCAT guide.. also .. do you know how many passages does it have ?

thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
EK is more like the MCAT. You will have to get a feel for the right answer. TPR often takes exact quote questions where you can be 100% sure that you are right. You finish faster because TPR makes there tests harder by adding more language or forcing you to go back to the passage. EK tends to rely more on the main idea and inference rather than paraphrase or details.

Inference........yes! That's what Ek is pounding on me with. You can't get the answer from the passage which is what TPR let me do.

It seems like TPR really screwed me for answering questions but prepared me for horribly worded passages. I'll def be doing Ek all the way

thanks for the confirmation. I'm gonna have to look back at my strategy guides for inference tips so i can have all my tools ready

cheers
steve

My MCAT is in about a month. Would you say its worth it to buy the MCAT AAMC official guide?

i dont have it
just heard about it
i think you can get it cheap if you buy an ammc from that site.

First off, yes the two EK books have mostly the same content. The new VR 101 just has some questions missing to jam it into the new format.

Since you're this close to your test, you should just stick with the verbal in your practice tests (you should be taking a complete VR section every 2-3 days). The only book you could probably get before your test is the AAMC MCAT Guide which doesn't have that many practice problems. Still, it might be worth getting in either of its bundles. You can pick it up with the MSAR or a FL. I'd like to suggest BR Verbal, but I'm not sure if you could get the book soon enough to be helpful. There ordering system is truly horrible.

First off, yes the two EK books have mostly the same content. The new VR 101 just has some questions missing to jam it into the new format.

Since you're this close to your test, you should just stick with the verbal in your practice tests (you should be taking a complete VR section every 2-3 days). The only book you could probably get before your test is the AAMC MCAT Guide which doesn't have that many practice problems. Still, it might be worth getting in either of its bundles. You can pick it up with the MSAR or a FL. I'd like to suggest BR Verbal, but I'm not sure if you could get the book soon enough to be helpful. There ordering system is truly horrible.

How is the BR verbal. I may need a few extra passages, do they give you a lot of practice?

Thanks to everyone who replied...

I just received my AAMC Official MCAT Guide .. it only has about 7 passages

BUT.. I just took a look at my EK 16 mini MCATs book ant it has 16 mini tests with 2 passages per test ... so that gives me 32 extra Passages :thumbup: to practice with .. I am soo happy I bought this book !!
I also decided to postpone my test till Aug 21st just to give myself a little bit of extra time.

GL to everyone :luck:

Last edited:

The AAMC book actually has almost an entire FL worth of passages for each section.