About to start M2 and freaking out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C'mon!! All the future M1s were doing it and I was starting to feel left out :oops: Show some love!!

Seriously though, there are several things that will suck about the following year till I am in clinic:

1. USMLE STEP 1: The beast
2. Third quarter finals that are cumulative over the whole year
3. Pharmacology (that one class alone is enough to put any first year classes to shame)

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Right there with you. Pharm is definitely something I am not looking forward to. Well, at least there is path-- that should be a lot more interesting than all of our first year courses. :cool:

it's totally normal to feel freaked out before the start of any year. Yeah all those things you mentioned are big and scary but thats only because they're on the immediate forefront of what's to come. You probably felt freaked out before starting med school and I guarantee you'll feel nervous again before you start M3. There's always something to worry about...next year you'll worry about M3 being the most important year, shelf exams, pimping, mean attendings and residents, long hours, etc...after that you'll worry about applications, personal statements, Step II, interviews, rank lists, after that you'll worry about making the right call when you're the intern overnight, being thrown into taking care of patients when you still dont know that much, inservice exams, and after that...well you get the idea. So chill, dont worry, thousands of people before you have gone through this and done fine. You will do fine too. Enjoy the rest of your break and just work hard next year.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chizwheel said:
it's totally normal to feel freaked out before the start of any year. Yeah all those things you mentioned are big and scary but thats only because they're on the immediate forefront of what's to come. You probably felt freaked out before starting med school and I guarantee you'll feel nervous again before you start M3. There's always something to worry about...next year you'll worry about M3 being the most important year, shelf exams, pimping, mean attendings and residents, long hours, etc...after that you'll worry about applications, personal statements, Step II, interviews, rank lists, after that you'll worry about making the right call when you're the intern overnight, being thrown into taking care of patients when you still dont know that much, inservice exams, and after that...well you get the idea. So chill, dont worry, thousands of people before you have gone through this and done fine. You will do fine too. Enjoy the rest of your break and just work hard next year.

Good luck!

Pimping? Umm...

I am looking forward to MII. It should be fun.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to M2 (or T2 as we call it). I feel like I've finaly figured out how to study for medical school. Only one more month till i find out how wrong I am....

You'll be ok. I actually loved pharm (but then, I'm probably going to be an anesthesiologist...I have to decide in, oh, 3 weeks). The thing about 2nd year is staying on top of your work. Playing catch up blows so hard. My anal retentiveness helped in that I tried not to get more than 2 lectures behind in terms of studying. what helped even more is when I started skipping lectures that weren't super useful. You waste a lot of time zoning out half asleep when you could be studying actively.

Just think, we've already forgotten more about the human body than most people will ever know...

prazmatic said:
C'mon!! All the future M1s were doing it and I was starting to feel left out :oops: Show some love!!

Seriously though, there are several things that will suck about the following year till I am in clinic:

3. Pharmacology (that one class alone is enough to put any first year classes to shame)

Any thoughts?

2nd year is way easier than 1st year. Pharm is easy, and is cake compared to anatomy, histology, neuroanatomy, etc.

There is much more time to party as an MS-2.

P.S. The MCAT was harder than USMLE-Step 1.

hey my fellow MSII docs!!!!!! :love: :love:

I'm so happy that first year is over, but 2nd year does present its own set of challenges (mainly that beast known as Step 1).

My second year begins July 24th :eek: :eek: Where, oh where, did my summer go? :confused:

When does everyone else begin year two?

lol....that was a good way of looking at it...yes, I have forgotten most of first year but retain just enough to still confuse most of my lay friends....

As for MS II, yeah, there is the peer suggested pre-read book, of which I am on page 5....with 300+ more to go.....

Good luck in MS II

-xtn, MS II beginning 7/31

DianaLynne said:
Just think, we've already forgotten more about the human body than most people will ever know...

airferret said:
lol....that was a good way of looking at it...yes, I have forgotten most of first year but retain just enough to still confuse most of my lay friends....

As for MS II, yeah, there is the peer suggested pre-read book, of which I am on page 5....with 300+ more to go.....

Good luck in MS II

What book?

docjolly said:
hey my fellow MSII docs!!!!!! :love: :love:

I'm so happy that first year is over, but 2nd year does present its own set of challenges (mainly that beast known as Step 1).

My second year begins July 24th :eek: :eek: Where, oh where, did my summer go? :confused:

When does everyone else begin year two?

July 10th here :(

Even if 2nd year is harder, I think its definitely going to be more interesting!

Enjoy the rest of your summers.........

-tx

gaikokujin said:
I'm actually kinda looking forward to M2 (or T2 as we call it). I feel like I've finaly figured out how to study for medical school. Only one more month till i find out how wrong I am....
This is *exactly* how I feel!

Boy, I thought I started early on Aug 7th.

At our school every says 2nd year is much harder than first.
This year is path, pharm, micro, immuno, and behavioral health.

Path should be interesting, but I freakin hate learning the different bugs.

Oh well. Can't change it.
Just think, next year at this time you'll be in the clinic! getting pimped of course.

Hi All,

I've got a quick question. We've just started a Heme/Lymph module, and apparently, it tends to be one of the most difficult (if not THE most, in competition w/physiology), modules at my school.

Do you guys have any recommended text or review books?

thanks!

airferret said:

Good luck in MS II

i haven't even started reading that.. :eek:

prazmatic said:

Any thoughts?

my thoughts:

the good news is that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and try to enjoy the rest of your summer!

we all look ahead to plan our years, but this quote helps ground me:

"It is a mistake to look too far ahead. Only one link in the chain of destiny can be handled at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill

DianaLynne said:

soo funny!