About to write some shadowing letters, should I direct the letter to the practice or to the physicians themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy1213

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a senior in college trying to get some last minute shadowing under my belt since COVID pushed me behind. I was advised by a classmate to write letters to small practices instead of trying a hospital. However, I’m not sure if I should write the practice as a whole or the actual practitioners I am interested in shadowing. I have no real preference, I just want to know if they anyone is willing to let me spend a few hours in the office with them. Also, if I get no response, how should I get the shadowing hours. I want about 100-200 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got my shadowing hours by calling/visiting in-person individual practices and seeing if they would be open to shadowing. If they said yes, then I wrote emails to the individual physicians I was interested in shadowing (cc the office manager). Called about 50 offices and 3 responded to me, so best of luck -- it might take some time!

Depending on where you live, there are some shadowing programs for pre-med students out there. I would try googling to see if you can find any formal programs in your area. Please do not pay money for shadowing programs (unless you are financially well off).

Hello everyone,

I am a senior in college trying to get some last minute shadowing under my belt since COVID pushed me behind. I was advised by a classmate to write letters to small practices instead of trying a hospital. However, I’m not sure if I should write the practice as a whole or the actual practitioners I am interested in shadowing. I have no real preference, I just want to know if they anyone is willing to let me spend a few hours in the office with them. Also, if I get no response, how should I get the shadowing hours. I want about 100-200 hours.
Start with your PCP. Ask him/her if (s)he knows anyone who knows anyone you can shadow. Put the word out to your social network that you're looking for doctors to shadow. There also used to be a D.O. mentoring website--not sure if that is still around, but it really helped me. Additionally, when you're shadowing, ask if the doctor knows other doctors you can shadow. Eventually you will get some bites. Hope that that helped.

Reactions: 1 user