1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

about Univ of florida

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jam21, Dec 5, 2002.

1. jam21

jam21 Member
    7+ Year Member

I recently got accepted to Univ of Florida. I also got accepted to several other schools. I would go to UF just for the financial reasons. It's a good school but whenever i volunteer there, i don't see that many patients. Does anyone know anything about how hard it is to find patients at UF, etc?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Member
    7+ Year Member

You are in the same situation my friend was in. He got into his public school which was in a "college town" but realized that clinical exposure was very important, so he went to a school out-of-state in a big city (UCLA). He expressed the same concerns, but it is up to you to resolve them.

1) Price: it would be easier to pay your loans off in 3 years vs. 10 years, but you do pay them off. Dentistry's future is too bright and there are so many opportunities to make the money. It is something to consider, but if people were worried about money, then half the dental schools would close ;) Even if you do GP, you have no worries...

2) Patients: If you go to a school to specialize, find the ones that have the highest Part I board scores. If you want to have excellent clinical skills, I have noticed that schools in larger "metropolitan" areas provide incredible exposure. The best part of these schools is the ease to replace a patient if one cancels on you. It is not uncommon for some students at these schools to finish their senior requirements in half a year. The more patients you see, the more confident and competent you will be.

Having said that, dental school is simply what you make of it. There isn't a bad dental school out there, but it may be easier in certain areas to see a variety of patients and a variety of cases.

My friend is much more in debt than what he would have been if he went to his state school, but he says it is worth it since he was able to step into a private practice and be incredibly productive. I am sure there are a lot of kids who would want the choice you have....:D

4. voozhead

voozhead Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Jam21,

My suggestion to you is....since you're around the campus..why don't you just ask some dental student about their patient pool?!?! They might be the best ones to give you the answer to that question.
    Also...could you post the answer as soon as you get something? ;) It might help a number of us that might have gotten accepted to UF.

Thanks..and best of luck!!
    Also..congratulations on getting accepted to UF. :clap:

5. jam21

jam21 Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the inputs, guys.
    Acutally, i'm going to volunteer at the operative clinic tomororw morning so ill try to ask the students there. I have some friends who go to UF dental school, but they are still in their first and 2nd year so I don't have much info on patient pool.
    The thing is that I 'd always thought UF has an ample patient pool (Thats what the school told me), so I wasn't that concerned about the size of the patient pool
    But, when I went to differet schools for the interview, I realized that it could be a problem.

From what I saw, UF 's patients don't seem that diverse.
    Like 70% of patients that I saw were senior citizens (at the operative clinic) and you hardly see any minority patients.
    Well, I'll try to get more info on it.
    Thanks
    :laugh:

6. voozhead

voozhead Member
    7+ Year Member

Well..from what I saw while at the interview was the same thing. but then...you have to consider one thing....gainesville is in the middle of nowhere. ;) hehe..get what I'm saying? It's hard to find diversity up there when it comes to the population at large. Mind you, I'm from Miami...and we are talking diverse down here. Well..mainly LATIN diversity. ;)

Hey..by any chance..do you know if UF has the White Coat Ceremony?!?!

7. jam21

jam21 Member
    7+ Year Member

HI. I just came from volunteering. I talked to a 3rd year student. When i asked if he has any problem getting patients, etc, he told me that he has no problem with it. you get about 15-20 patients, i think. Everybody eventually meets all the requirements and graduates on time. Patients all seem to be nice and friendly. There is about 2-3 faculties at the clinic.
    So, i guess it won't be that bad. I would be nice to live in NY or boston, but gainesville is such a nice place to study. I woudln't mind stayin here another 4 yrs..

good luck. ARe you planning to go to UF, voozhead?

:clap:

8. voozhead

voozhead Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Jam21!!

Thanks for checking that out!! Then I guess UF it is. :D
    So hey..we're going to be classmates. If I may ask..when did you interview with the school?? I think mine was around Oct. 18th.

See ya in the fall.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

9. jam21

jam21 Member
    7+ Year Member

it's nice meeting you!!!! i guess you finally decided to go to uf??
    congrulations..!

Did you get into other schools? ? I like uf but i liked other schools too! I didnt think i would get in here though cuz it's pretty competitive.
    I had an interview on the october 2nd.
    You can email Dr. sposetti about the letter. I'm not really sure about it yet.

:clap: :clap:

10. voozhead

voozhead Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah..it's funny, cause I haven't interviewed with the other schools yet. But I must say, I wasn't expected to get into UF, even though it was my first choice. So once I got that call..I almost feel out of my bed, LITERALLY!!! hehehe..

I'm glad I got into UF, it's just perfect, not only b/c of financial reasons, but also it's perfect as far as location goes. You know..I'll be away from home, but close enough if I ever need to come home.:p