? about which interviews to drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golftrippy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose to interview at 1 or at most 2 of the following programs to interview which would you guys choose and why: Cornell, U Chicago or Northwestern. They all seem fairly similar in terms of reputation and I really don't have a huge preference between the two cities. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had to choose to interview at 1 or at most 2 of the following programs to interview which would you guys choose and why: Cornell, U Chicago or Northwestern. They all seem fairly similar in terms of reputation and I really don't have a huge preference between the two cities. Thoughts?

Well . . . in terms of the academic food chain both U of Chicago and Cornell beat NWern. UofChicago = Cornell > NWern

There's my vote.

Well . . . in terms of the academic food chain both U of Chicago and Cornell beat NWern. UofChicago = Cornell > NWern

There's my vote.

Agree, although the difference in "tier" between UofC/Cornell and NW is pretty small so if I had to make this decision, it would be partially based on geography as well. If you have 3 other NYC programs and really want to be there, then just interview @ Cornell and be done with it. If you definitely don't want to live in NYC...no brainer, interview @ the 2 Chicago programs.

I honestly don't think you can really go wrong making this decision and it's a good "problem" to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, although the difference in "tier" between UofC/Cornell and NW is pretty small so if I had to make this decision, it would be partially based on geography as well. If you have 3 other NYC programs and really want to be there, then just interview @ Cornell and be done with it. If you definitely don't want to live in NYC...no brainer, interview @ the 2 Chicago programs.

I honestly don't think you can really go wrong making this decision and it's a good "problem" to have.

Good points.

And as it hast been declared thusly previously on SDN, making such declaration gospel truth, all three programs are in the SDN top 30-35.

I would definitely agree with the above posts.

The only thing is that NW is a very nice hospital with absolutely great location in a very upscale part of Chicago. For this reason, NW is actually pretty competitive.

The residents are all pretty happy there and it has a very nice schedule as well. I would try to see if you could work that interview in to your interview schedule.

I would drop Cornell and go to NW & UChicago. Personally, I'm not a fan of NYC, and have no opinion about Chicago. Beyond that though, NW & UChicago are in the same city, so you can go to both in one trip and compare the two. They are supposed to be quite different in their approaches, patient population, etc. Even if you don't end up in Chicago, you would be able to compare 2 quality institutions holding as many other variables constant as possible (city, weather, season, etc) and that may help you figure out what program is best for you.

On a somewhat related note, is it too early to cancel interviews for an applicant with average stats? So far I've heard from nearly half of the schools I applied to, only one of which might be considered a competitive program (top 50?). No word from any of my top 5 choices. With 10+ interviews scheduled, I'm tempted to cancel those at my "safest" safety schools to make room for the more competitive ones. I've considered postponing the decision until after Nov. 1st when schools have looked at MSPEs, but with my mediocre file, I'm afraid I won't be hearing from any more places. Should I wait to cancel?

On a somewhat related note, is it too early to cancel interviews for an applicant with average stats? So far I've heard from nearly half of the schools I applied to, only one of which might be considered a competitive program (top 50?). No word from any of my top 5 choices. With 10+ interviews scheduled, I'm tempted to cancel those at my "safest" safety schools to make room for the more competitive ones. I've considered postponing the decision until after Nov. 1st when schools have looked at MSPEs, but with my mediocre file, I'm afraid I won't be hearing from any more places. Should I wait to cancel?

Yes, wait. Not too long, but give the MSPE a little bit of time to work. I got 1/2 of my offers pre-MSPE and the other 1/2 post-MSPE. I canceled interviews starting the 2nd week of November.

One caveat to canceling them at all is that, you never really know which programs you're going to like the most until you interview there. My #1 and #2 programs pre-interview wound up #4 and #8 post-interview. My final 1, 2 and 3 weren't in my top 5 pre-interview and my #1 (where I matched) wasn't even on my radar.

Yes, wait. Not too long, but give the MSPE a little bit of time to work. I got 1/2 of my offers pre-MSPE and the other 1/2 post-MSPE. I canceled interviews starting the 2nd week of November.

One caveat to canceling them at all is that, you never really know which programs you're going to like the most until you interview there. My #1 and #2 programs pre-interview wound up #4 and #8 post-interview. My final 1, 2 and 3 weren't in my top 5 pre-interview and my #1 (where I matched) wasn't even on my radar.

Have to agree with this as well. My number 1 was some place I was simply going to check out on my way from one place I thought I wanted to go (ended up 6th) with another place I thought I wanted to go (ended up 4th)

Have to agree with this as well. My number 1 was some place I was simply going to check out on my way from one place I thought I wanted to go (ended up 6th) with another place I thought I wanted to go (ended up 4th)

That's exactly what happened for me. I happened to be "in the neighborhood" of my eventual #1, interviewing at what I thought was going to be my #1 (ultimate #8) and figured, since I'd already flown 3000 miles, one more hotel night wasn't going to kill me. Good choice.

That said, I canceled interviews at some pretty good and well-respected programs. Who knows if I would have liked them more than where I wound up. As it was I went on 18 interviews which was way too many.

That's exactly what happened for me. I happened to be "in the neighborhood" of my eventual #1, interviewing at what I thought was going to be my #1 (ultimate #8) and figured, since I'd already flown 3000 miles, one more hotel night wasn't going to kill me. Good choice.

That said, I canceled interviews at some pretty good and well-respected programs. Who knows if I would have liked them more than where I wound up. As it was I went on 18 interviews which was way too many.

May be difficult for some to cancel interviews though. I know for myself, I would be hesitant to cancel interviews at "mid-tier" places even if I get every interview at the "top tier" programs that I have applied to. The "what if I don't match?" question will continue to loom large.

Out of curiosity, what programs do you consider to be "mid-tier" places, and how are you getting this information?

Out of curiosity, what programs do you consider to be "mid-tier" places, and how are you getting this information?

On my list right now, "mid-tier" are Pitt, Tufts, Rush, Jefferson.

I'm still weary of UChi. I went through the cycle last year and interviewed at NW and Cornell but didn't apply to Chicago.

I'm not from the northeast at all and have no skin in this game, but I think I agree that Pitt shouldn't be considered mid-tier. It's definitely a rung above places like Rush...not that Rush sucks at all, but it's more like a place you go if you want to be a hospitalist, or make some connections in Chicago, but not necessarily try for fellowships at "academic" type places.

As far as the OP's question, I think we need to know more about the OP. Personally, I think the importance of atmosphere of a program (i.e. how does department and GME office treat residents, is there decent food on call, decent parkin, how will your fellow residents and the attendings treat you, etc.) is very underrated. If you can find out something about THOSE things and maybe decide based on that, you may want to consider it. I don't personally think that those 3 institutions are far enough apart in terms of "prestige" that it will affect your fellowship prospects a lot one way or the other. I do think that if you're going to plan to stay in New York long term, it might be better to do residency there. Similarly, if you want to get a hospitalist job or fellowship in Chicago later, or elsewhere in the Midwest, then being at one of the Chicago programs might be helpful.

There was some sort of financial badness going on at U of Chicago a couple of years ago. Not sure if that has resolved, but I know they did lose some faculty at that time. Still, there's no doubt it still has a good academic reputation.