Above average stats, downward trend, hard past life events and decisions. Any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concernedpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
This is my first time creating a thread on sdn with the hope of getting some encouragement because I am shattered, confused and extremely discouraged. I hope I can get some real advice.

My story is very unusual and someone told me today that I have literally 0 chance of getting into a medical school in Texas or any school in the US.

I’ll start with my stats:
-3.74 cgpa with a downward trend (4.0 community college and 3.58 university) - 3.6 science gpa and 4.0 non science gpa.
-600+ hours clinical work (US and abroad- volunteered at st. Jude abroad)
-volunteered in the ER for 3 years
-100 hours shadowing (shadowed NFL orthopedic surgeon and a nephrologist)
-officer at a premed organization
-teacher assistant for microbiology
-lead teacher assistant
-2 research internships (health psyc and genetics)
-currently doing molecular biology research
- currently tutoring micro and ochem at a community college
-first generation student
-Texas resident

The guy I spoke to today told that I have no chance. I started with my undergrad career in 2011 really strong. Made As in all my prereqs, volunteered in a county hospital Er, did research, held some leadership positions etc. everything went well up until the fall if 2014. I still made As in 2014 but I dropped my first science class ever even though I had a B in the class because I thought I couldn’t continue for my aunt who’s handicapped got sick. In addition to my aunt who I live with got sick and was classified by the doctors as permanently handicapped because of hip dislocation, several life events were induced. I started stressing out, I had to work to support the house, I started losing track of my academics, got in a toxic relationship and started going out in my free time to relieve my stress. Despite the fact that i still received 3 As on my other classes things only got worse for my last three semesters where I only needed couple classes to graduate.
In took 4 classes in the spring of 2015 ( Lit, speech, viro, plant science.) due to my loss of motivation, work that I wasn’t used to (I drove limousine and shuttles for hotels), getting into a toxic relationship, and going out the whole time(partying) to escape, I dropped both virology and plant science at the beginning of the semester, even before the first exam, not because I was failing but because I wasn’t in a position to focus on school. During the Fall of 2015, same viscous loop, I received my 1st C ever in Biochem and received a B in plant science. During my last semester (Spring 2016), I took Biochem 2 and toxicology where I dropped Biochem 2 during the beginning of the semester and ended up with a B in toxicology.

I realized that I should stop school and focus on getting my life back on track, even though I still had calculus to take in order to get my degree and started getting doubts on whether I want to pursue medicine. My mom moved to Texas inorder to help my aunt and I decided to move to California in order to try something new and escape my super hard two years that I have passed through.

After the spring of 2016, I decided that I wanted to experience life outside academia. I turned down a research assistant job position that I received and moved to California for 5 months. I worked as tutor to support myself, volunteered in a homeless shelter, made amazing friendships, but most importantly I learned how to be an independent adult who can rely on himself in a new city. I wanted to explore my options of pursuing a phd so I joined a chemistry lab at a UC , lived with Phd students, took the GRE and met prominent professors who encouraged me to apply to their Phd Program in microbiology. As much as I love research, I realized that a PhD is not what I want to pursue because I enjoyed the human interaction factor that was missing. After my stay in Cali that lasted for 5 months, I moved to a country abroad where I realized that my initial passion to medicine was keen. I have spent my 7 months volunteering at St. Jude children cancer hospital that was one of the most sad, yet uplifting experiences I had. I hadshadowed an NFL affiliated and a Harvard graduate orthopedic surgeon at the in addition to several volunteer events with the blind. My trips taught me many lessons about myself, gave me the opportunity to meet people from all over the world who left a drastic impact on my life, and made me realize my past mistakes that I consider as a learning opportunity. Most importantly, I realized that medicine is what I want to pursue.

After moving back to Texas I was very determined to work hard again and continue what I started. I got a job as a tutor for microbiology, organic chemistry and physiology at a college, joined a microbiology research lab that studies microbial resistance and started studying for MCAT wholeheartedly and I believe I will score 515+.

My only other downside is that I haven’t taken my calculus yet and I am planning on taking a CLEP in mid April inorder to get my degree.

I have done a lot of mistakes in 2015 and 2016. My academic performance dropped exponentially as I was on the top of my class and extracurriculars before. I received an A in ochem by the time the class average was F. I have learned from my past mistakes, I am back on track and I know that the phase that I have passed through was a Learning opportunity and I will never go back to it ever again.

The guy that I spoke with today told me that I have a 0 chance of getting in anywhere. He shattered me and I don’t know what to do because I am studying for my McAT wholeheartedly, I have great LORs and I am planning on applying this cycle.

I need your input please, I hope that you can give me some encouragement guys. I have learned from my mistakes and I am a stronger individual today.

-Thank you and I apologize for my long thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Crush the MCAT. See what others here will say, but I don't think your situation is really that bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Crush the MCAT. See what others here will say, but I don't think your situation is really that bad.
I am looking forward to what everyone will say. I have been in bed all day. The guy said that even if I ace my mcat I will still have 0 chance. I thought that this is the only place I can reach out to inorder to get some advice if encouragement.
Thank you for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
+b
I am looking forward to what everyone will say. I have been in bed all day. The guy said that even if I ace my mcat I will still have 0 chance. I thought that this is the only place I can reach out to inorder to get some advice if encouragement.
Thank you for your response.

Who the hell is this guy to tell you that you have zero chance. Ignore what they said. Your GPA is still ok and you have a lot of experiences. If you do well on the MCAT I personally think you'll have a good chance. Just keep studying and focus on that for now and don't let random people discourage you.

+b

Who the hell is this guy to tell you that you have zero chance. Ignore what they said. Your GPA is still ok and you have a lot of experiences. If you do well on the MCAT I personally think you'll have a good chance. Just keep studying and focus on that for now and don't let random people discourage you.
Thank you for your response. I needed to hear this. The guy is from premed counseling company. He charges $4.5k for his program where he claims that he helps you with essays and interviews. It was a phone meeting where he told me not to give it hope because I have absolutely no chance.

Thank you for your response. I needed to hear this. The guy is from premed counseling company. He charges $4.5k for his program where he claims that he helps you with essays and interviews. It was a phone meeting where he told me not to give it hope because I have absolutely no chance.

If you can smash the MCAT and write your PS in a compelling manner as you did above, explaining your circumstances and your passion for medicine, you might have a shot. If you don't get in the first round, re-assess and figure out what you did wrong and try again.

I understand that this guy may have crushed you today and you're entitled to wallow for a bit, but if you wallow longer than a bit after something like this, do you really think you can be in medicine? I don't mean that to discourage you, I simply mean that medicine is really tough and you'll have people a lot worse than this guy in your face and making your life miserable. It's not right, but medicine is brutal. Take this opportunity to make yourself stronger.

and I am a stronger individual today.

^^^ Make this statement true.

Sounds like a dingus trying to take advantage of people. Probably didn't wanna risk facing to refund you or something if you didn't get accepted if they have some sort of guarantee policy but regardless ignore them. Kill the MCAT then come back here with your score to get help making a school list.

Edit: lol at sdn auto censoring a****** to dingus

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest, I'm going to bed right now and didn't read past "The guy I spoke to today...". But from your stats and ECs, there's absolutely no way you don't get into a medical school if you're smart with your school list. As others are saying, the MCAT is a big deciding factor. It's my very firm belief that anyone can score a 515+ with the proper study regimen (especially someone like you who has a 3.7 GPA). Good luck man, keep your head up!!

Sounds like a dingus trying to take advantage of people. Probably didn't wanna risk facing to refund you or something if you didn't get accepted if they have some sort of guarantee policy but regardless ignore them. Kill the MCAT then come back here with your score to get help making a school list.

Edit: lol at sdn auto censoring a****** to dingus
Yes! The first thing he said was that they picked 20/100 students and that I was one of the 20 because of my impressive story, above average experience, and average stats for Texas. He already New about my downward trend. Their website states they guarantee free help for the entire next cycle if things don’t workout the first time. They pick top students to work with.
After all that he told me that I have 0 Chance in Texas or any other US school.

If you can smash the MCAT and write your PS in a compelling manner as you did above, explaining your circumstances and your passion for medicine, you might have a shot. If you don't get in the first round, re-assess and figure out what you did wrong and try again.

I understand that this guy may have crushed you today and you're entitled to wallow for a bit, but if you wallow longer than a bit after something like this, do you really think you can be in medicine? I don't mean that to discourage you, I simply mean that medicine is really tough and you'll have people a lot worse than this guy in your face and making your life miserable. It's not right, but medicine is brutal. Take this opportunity to make yourself stronger.

^^^ Make this statement true.
Thank you very much. I definitely get what you’re saying. I came to this thread because I don’t want to talk to my friends about it.
You are absolutely right, I will.

Thank you very much. I definitely get what you’re saying. I came to this thread because I don’t want to talk to my friends about it.
You are absolutely right, I will.

Aren't we all here because we don't want to talk to our friends about any of this? :p In the words of the late, great MJ, you are not alone.

I'll be honest, I'm going to bed right now and didn't read past "The guy I spoke to today...". But from your stats and ECs, there's absolutely no way you don't get into a medical school if you're smart with your school list. As others are saying, the MCAT is a big deciding factor. It's my very firm belief that anyone can score a 515+ with the proper study regimen (especially someone like you who has a 3.7 GPA). Good luck man, keep your head up!!
Thank you so much. I hope you can read my story when you get the chance.

As long as you score at least 500 on the MCAT then you would be competitive for at least 15 DO schools that I know of. 507 or higher and you should be able to receive several interviews from your Texas MD schools.

As long as you score at least 500 on the MCAT then you would be competitive for at least 15 DO schools that I know of. 507 or higher and you should be able to receive several interviews from your Texas MD schools.
Thank you for your response. Do you think the fact that I started school in 2011 and I don’t have my degree yet (I stopped taking classes in 2016 and I still need calculus to get my degree) would be very detrimental? I am CLEPing calculus in 20 days to get my degree. Moreover, I received 4 Ws in science classes and my first C in Biochem, all within a span of my last 1.5 years (2015-2016) where I was already done with 95% of my course by the fall of 2014. This is why I am very worried. I have had many experiences outside academia that shaped who I am today (my story above), and I have learned from my past mistakes. Do you think the guy is right?

The downward trend will hurt you but if you achieve a good MCAT score you will still be fine for the newer DO schools.
You don’t think I have a shot at Texas MD schools even if I do well on my MCAT?

Depends on the MCAT score. Post your score here when available.
Thank you so much. I will stop whining about what the guy told me and I will get back on track to do great on my MCAT. My prep is going well so far. I will keep you updated.
Thank you. I needed to hear this.

And some of the TX schools may show you some love. Forget about MD schools outside of TX....they know from historic norms that very few texans leave TX.
Indeed. I would love staying in Texas. All my friends went to Texas medical schools and I know very few who left. Your feedback guys have gave me some hope. I hope that my dark 3 three semesters won’t be extremely detrimental to my application.