ABPM International Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CutsWithFury

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

If I practice podiatry in the UK or Australia where the scope of practice is definitely limited what does getting ABPM certified do? Is it going to allow them to get surgical privileges? No. Will orthopedists in UK and Australia dropped to their knees and bow down to the Podiatrists that just hung their newly framed USA certification on their office wall? No.

Are insurance companies going reimburse providers in these countries any differently? No.

I’m much more interested in ABPM flexing their muscles in CT, NY, OR and SC to rewrite the laws. That would be far more impressive to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Outside of the “elite” politicIans in our profession, almost no one in our country cares that much about international podiatry organizations, meetings, committees etc.

Last edited:
I’m my an Aussie pod and use to also work in the U.K so I may be able to help answer this and give abit more insight.

As a Aussie come to the U.K it took abit of time getting use to their healthcare system aka the National health service -NHS. It’s a public health system which has its pros and cons.

First of all there’s two types of podiatrists; 1) non surgical and 2) surgical

Everyone there starts off as a non surgical pod. They do a 3-4 year bachelors degree in podiatry. And if they want to go into surgery they then have to do a masters in theory of Podiatric medicine and then Apple for a surgical fellowship training program to becomes a fellow of the royal college of physicians and surgeons Glasgow.

As a DPM who does surgery you’d be equivalent to their surgical trained pods.
The orthopedists or orthopedic surgeons are medically qualified surgeons just like in the U.S and it’s mixed feedback from them; some respect Podiatric surgeons and work alongside them, then there’s some who look down upon them and question their competency in doing surgery.

I feel it would be a good opportunity for DPM’s to consider having an opportunity to do some work in the U.K as part of their residency or as a fellowship as they have some top pod surgeons there with allot of hospital privileges. And I think it would be good for U.K pod surgeons to also do the same in the U.S.

This will take out profession to the next levels to get international reciprocity. It’s already a small profession. Why not work together to gain more recognition.

What kind of surgeries are UK pods doing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well you’re most welcome to come down there sir. They’ll love having your around. You’ll have a great time there discussing case studies and showing your pod skills etc. DPM’s visit there quite often.
I'm totally ignorant to this but... DPMs can do surgery in the UK/Australia? Do we need to apply for some type of license?

Also will I have mandatory breaks for tea and crumpets?

Reactions: 2 users
It would be really great for profession if we can somehow practice at our US scope internationally somehow. Open up so many opportunities. I'd love to go to New Zealand and practice podiatry there one day but lack of surgical scope makes it unattractive to move out of US. I don't think this ABPM international certificate does that at all. I see this more for non US podiatrist to become ABPM certified for their home country(?).

Reactions: 3 users

If I practice podiatry in the UK or Australia where the scope of practice is definitely limited what does getting ABPM certified do? Is it going to allow them to get surgical privileges? No. Will orthopedists in UK and Australia dropped to their knees and bow down to the Podiatrists that just hung their newly framed USA certification on their office wall? No.

Are insurance companies going reimburse providers in these countries any differently? No.

I’m much more interested in ABPM flexing their muscles in CT, NY, OR and SC to rewrite the laws. That would be far more impressive to everyone.
But if you have a DPM and a one or two year surgical residency you are not eligible to be board certified anywhere. But if you get a 3 year "podiatry" bachelor's degree in one of these countries, you can. What a deal, no biochem, or basic medical scinences and have a leg up on a DPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.