ABPP Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms.MWCalkins

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm in the process of applying for the ABPP in Clinical Psychology. In the manual it requires a professional statement. One section asks you to write about:

7) A description of several methods you use to engage in reflective practice and
professional self-assessment/self-care.
Ensure that you address how you have used this method to improve your professional activities.

But then later states this......

#7 Describe at least one method you use to engage in professional self-reflection (more than just personal self-care or work/life balance). Ensure that you address how you have used this method to improve your professional activities.

Am I the only one confused by this? What do they what then?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing at least two paragraphs noting two distinct practices you engage in, for the purpose of/result in reflection/self-assessment of your professional duties (whatever those are, therapy, assessment, etc). Bonus points if there is a flavor of self-care?

When I think about "professional self-reflection" I think about how we should be considering our own biases or gaps in cultural competency that could impact how we work with clients.