ABPP- clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppsAintNoThang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering going for my ABPP in clinical psych in the next couple years. I'm finding it difficult to find first hand experiences or resources for this process.

Had anyone done this who can speak to the process? Difficulties, timeline, etc? Anything you would have liked to know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, since no one is replying re: ABPP in Clinical, I thought I'd mention what's happening for me with ABPP in Couple and Family Psychology. As soon as I was approved as a candidate (i.e., I met the general and specialty-specific requirements), I was given a mentor to help with the process. The ABPP website has handbooks for each specialty that outlines expectations, etc. If you're given a mentor, then she/he should be able to expand on what's in the handbook. APA also publishes specialty-specific competencies that should also figure into your preparation for the boarding process.

I was told I was eligible in December. I have until December 2018 to supply two video work samples and some written materials that include general thoughts and orientation toward doing couple and family work, as well as background material specific to the two work samples.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, since no one is replying re: ABPP in Clinical, I thought I'd mention what's happening for me with ABPP in Couple and Family Psychology. As soon as I was approved as a candidate (i.e., I met the general and specialty-specific requirements), I was given a mentor to help with the process. The ABPP website has handbooks for each specialty that outlines expectations, etc. If you're given a mentor, then she/he should be able to expand on what's in the handbook. APA also publishes specialty-specific competencies that should also figure into your preparation for the boarding process.

I was told I was eligible in December. I have until December 2018 to supply two video work samples and some written materials that include general thoughts and orientation toward doing couple and family work, as well as background material specific to the two work samples.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, this is very helpful. It's seriously tough to find people who can mentor me through this process! I'm glad to hear first hand experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, this is very helpful. It's seriously tough to find people who can mentor me through this process! I'm glad to hear first hand experience.
You'll definitely be given a mentor. A psychologist I used to work with did the boarding process relatively recently and I learned quite a bit about it. I think he did the Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology boarding.

Hey sfgucadoc, would you mind saying a little more about what led you to want to get board certified in couples and family work? Did you find there was a demand for it from clients, or was it because the jobs you were interested in wanted you to have it, etc? How many years of practice do you need to have been practicing before you can apply? And how much does the whole process cost? Seems pretty great, but not sure how big of a pain it is...

Hey sfgucadoc, would you mind saying a little more about what led you to want to get board certified in couples and family work? Did you find there was a demand for it from clients, or was it because the jobs you were interested in wanted you to have it, etc? How many years of practice do you need to have been practicing before you can apply? And how much does the whole process cost? Seems pretty great, but not sure how big of a pain it is...

I did a CAPIC internship, not APA because I already had a full-time faculty position and could do CAPIC part-time. Since then, I left Cali and am interested in being credentialed at the VA as a psychologist for a number of reasons. I currently work there in a non-clinical position. The VA recently changed the qualification standard so that folks with non-APA cooties could do ABPP and then have clinical privileges, be classified as a psychologist, etc.

I picked couples and family because much of my work has been related to that area but, more pragmatically, they recognize CAPIC as a valid internship alternative.

As to total cost, not sure. For my particular situation, the cost is less important than the opportunities it will provide. I can say it's $250 right off the bat to be able to send in your work samples. The actual oral exam is additional $. I'm sure the ABPP website can be more specific and the candidate handbooks also include $ info.

Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user