ABPS CBPS/Orals in June 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adpod

DPM
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colleagues,

I'm taking the ABPS part 2 certification exam in Chicago at the end of June.

Between running my practice and studying, it's been tough, but I think I am prepared.

Any last minutes tips from anybody whose taken the boards? Especially anybody that has taken the CBPS portion? Is it just like the online simulator though abps.org?

Any help/tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ADPOD:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I found the actual CBPS questions to be more in-depth than the sample questions, but regardless, make sure you work the sample questions on the ABPS site several times just to get used to the mechanics of it. I don't know if they have it any more but there was a separate pdf study guide elsewhere on the ABPS site that gave the answers to the sample questions.

Stay at the hotel, and get there early so you can relax. One guy that took the test with me had his plane delayed and he got in at 5am on the day of the exam. He was a basket case.

Pack some food for your hotel room. There aren't really any restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel has a restaurant and a bar but they can't handle the volume of people quickly enough. If you have lunch at the restaurant order a salad because they come out quickly. Anything that has to be cooked will take at least 30 minutes and you won't have time to eat it before the afternoon testing starts. I found it better to eat lunch in my room far away from everyone else spazzing out.

Good luck!

I was an examiner for the oral portion of the ABPS certification exam for about 10 years. Although the test has changed with the computer format, there are still some basics to remember.

Think clearly and don't look at every question as if it's a trick. There really are no trick questions. If you know the material, you should pass the exam. Don't jump ahead with assumptions, but follow your format and your game plan. Think logically and MOST importantly, treat the question as if the patient in the question is sitting in front of you.

I examined TOO many excellent candidates who did not follow their own game plans. They would sit down in front of me, write all kinds of stuff on the paper such as NLDOCAT, PMH, PSH, Allergies, etc., as a guide line. Then the question will start and they would not even follow their own agenda.

Example: The candidate wrote all of the above down, but started running through the question without looking at what was written. He never asked if the patient had any allergies, a VERY basic question and something on "his" list. As a result, he basically killed the patient when giving the patient a medication that the patient had a severe allergic reaction to in the past.

Similarly, candidates would simply forget to ask BASIC questions that once again they already wrote down, such as past treatments, medical histories, etc.

Yes, there is a lot of material. You have to think logically and keep on track. Simply imagine that the patient is in front of you and then treat accordingly.

And MOST important, do not torture yourself with asking your buddies how THEY answered the questions. Be confident, don't discuss the questions before, during or after or you will drive yourself crazy.

Eat well, sleep well and wear clean underwear. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like PADPM said, there aren't trick questions but be thinking of complications. You fix it, they wreck it. You do a bunionectomy, they walk too soon. You excise a neuroma, they swim in a lake and get necrotizing fasciitis.

Also expect that there is nothing written on the test card that isn't there for a reason. For example, if it says the patient smokes 1 ppd then you can bet there will be a wound healing complication. If the patient drinks a 12 pack of beer per day then be thinking of alcoholism, neuropathy, Charcot.

"Foot exam" does NOT equal "forefoot exam."

Clean underwear = power.
Power = good.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who have spent the time replying here, or by way of PMing.
I think all this advice is great, not just for me, but for any candidate for either of the board certification bodies.
It is my vision that this thread, or one similar to it, stays alive for anyone else, like myself, who is seeking good, hearty info about the process, the exam weekend, high-yield topics, good/bad experiences.
I have come across a great website, www.orthobullets.com, which is run by orthopedic surgeons (I have included a screenshot). The model is great, strictly clinical, with contributions from residents and surgeons. It goes over all topics relative to orthopedics. It has a great, concise Foot/ankle section with clinical info on various pathologies along with relevant cases (actual cases).
I became a member (it's free), and I have access to the full site, except their "networking" area. I recommend to any pods to become a member and check it out.
It would be great if we could produce a site like this for ourselves and our community. The site is very user friendly.
Again, thanks for the tips, and I have already packed plenty clean underwear ;)
ADPOD

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1339541506.910843.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 59
First and foremost I am hoping that originator of this thread had a good experience and everything went nice and smooth during your oral exam.
Now, on to business. I plan on taking both oral exams next summer. I have been in private practice since 2008, and to be honest while I am busy and have a nice surgical volume I am probably not as up on the academic side of things as I once was. I checked out the orthobullets site and it looks a nice review.
Any other tips on how to best go about the preparation process?

Congratulations on sitting for the orals next year. It's a scary and nerve-wracking process but once the exam starts you kind of get into the flow of it. Here's what worked for me:

First and foremost make sure you start by knowing the PI Manual inside/out. It covered about 90% of my test questions.
http://www.podiatryinstitute.com/pimanual.htm

The Goldfarb manual filled in what the PI manual didn't cover (especially with tumors -- blecchh!).
http://www.goldfarbfoundation.org/O...efault.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

The Midwest Podiatry Conference board review track was EXTREMELY helpful for me. If you go, make sure you pay extra for the syllabus and also participate in the mock orals. Its good for 34 CME credits too.
http://midwestpodconf.org/

Thanks for the adivce. I used the PI Manual extensively while studying for the written portions in 2008, but I need to check into the Goldfarb manual. I had planned on going to the review course....good to know that it will be beneficial.
It's funny you mention tumors because I was just thinking about them. In 4+ years of practice I have not seen a single large osseous tumor, and the few more serious soft tissue tumors I've encountered have been sent to a good orthopedic oncologist in my area.
Thanks again for the tips.