ABPS Emergency Medicine Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Good evening. I hope all is well. I just needed some advise:

I am a US Citizen, American medical school graduate and completed an IM residency at a top US Medical School in '09. I then completed my board certification the same year and have been working in EDs since the time I graduated residency-- now over 2 yrs. My scores-- USMLE Step 1 ~220, Step 2 CK ~234, CS pass, and Step 3 240 all on first attempt.

I have enjoyed the time that I have spent working in EDs and would like to continue doing so. It seems that I have 2 options-- go back and do a residency in EM or consider taking the ABPS exam for Emergency Medicine as most places require Emergency Medicine boarded physicians.
I have mixed feelings about going back and doing a second residency as I have been out of residency for a significant amount of time. The question I had (please do not flame me-- I would be grateful for some honest advice) is how vaild is the ABPS Emergency Medicine Board Certification when it comes to jobs and would also like to get some advice as to how reasonable it would be to do a second residency given my experience? I would also like to hear from anyone who has done a second residency and their experiences doing so.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It's invalid in many states already as it is a fake way to get "credentials". It's also false advertising. If you want to be BC in EM, you need to do a residency. Sorry.

It's invalid in many states already as it is a fake way to get "credentials". It's also false advertising. If you want to be BC in EM, you need to do a residency. Sorry.

Agreed.

Your options are to continue working in rural podunkville underserved areas... or try to seek an EM training program. You have good scores and I would assume you could get great letters from your past residency program.

I would try to seek a program that has ample moonlighting opprtunities so that you do not take quite a large hit in the wallet. There are many out there, and if everything in your file is as great as you say, I bet you can find a program.

Better make a decision ASAP and try to apply this year if possible...

Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Good evening. I hope all is well. I just needed some advise:

I am a US Citizen, American medical school graduate and completed an IM residency at a top US Medical School in '09. I then completed my board certification the same year and have been working in EDs since the time I graduated residency-- now over 2 yrs. My scores-- USMLE Step 1 ~220, Step 2 CK ~234, CS pass, and Step 3 240 all on first attempt.

I have enjoyed the time that I have spent working in EDs and would like to continue doing so. It seems that I have 2 options-- go back and do a residency in EM or consider taking the ABPS exam for Emergency Medicine as most places require Emergency Medicine boarded physicians.
I have mixed feelings about going back and doing a second residency as I have been out of residency for a significant amount of time. The question I had (please do not flame me-- I would be grateful for some honest advice) is how vaild is the ABPS Emergency Medicine Board Certification when it comes to jobs and would also like to get some advice as to how reasonable it would be to do a second residency given my experience? I would also like to hear from anyone who has done a second residency and their experiences doing so.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice!

I would also try and see how much "credit" you can get for having already done the medical ICU months etc (have those months maybe changed to elective months or something to increase moonlighting time). But I would think you'd be a strong candidate, scores aside, simply because of your background.

It's fake. No group I've ever worked at would hire someone with APBS certification.

Now, that said, lots of places have to hire docs to work in the ED that aren't ABEM certified. But I don't think adding on an APBS certification actually gets you anything.

I'm not sure on this, but the other thing is that if you've already completed a residency in the US, it may be hard for someone to take you on for a second residency. Something to do with the medicare reimbursement to hospitals/programs for residents. Not saying it's impossible, there are definitely people who've completed a prior residency before their ER training, but somewhere that program usually takes a financial hit.