ABR for forign medical graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arash_aryamanes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found in this website that there is possibility that American board of radiology accepts forign graduate radiologist to do their exam,,,,i couldn,t find a link or any information in their website(ABR)..
any information is appreciated.....

Members don't see this ad.

they had written in their website that we should have 4 year training in radiology in usa!!
so,,,it seems that we should again go for match,do usmle and...............
USMLE IS NOT A PROBLEM,,BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT 4 YEARS TRAINING??

i still thinking that what is the benefit to have radiology degree from overseas,,u still should do what ever other MD overseas should do TO BECOME RADIOLOGIST IN USA !!

please help in this regard AND CORRECT ME

one of the NECESSARY DOCUMENTS IS:
"Verification of FOUR YEARS radiology training appointment in an institution that has an ACGME-
or RCPSC-approved diagnostic radiology residency training program"

http://www.theabr.org/DR_IMG.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
At this time, it is possible for foreign trained radiologists to get positions for advanced specialty training (fellowships) in the US. While it is close to impossible to get into a radiology residency, training done as a fellow counts. What candidates for this pathway typically do is 1-2 years of fellowship after which they stay on as junior faculty at the same institution. After a total of 4 years at the same place, they are eligible to sit for the boards. It is not easy to get this accomplished and there is lots of competition, but it can be done.

many thaNKS FOR YOUR USEFULL INFORMATIONS
just two more question...
should u do usmle to be accepted in fellowship as u should be eligible to have patient contact?is it self paied or u r going to be paid?

and last:
is there any other route that a radiologist(forign graduate)can work in USA?
or u should only go for board exam??
what about #American Osteopathic Board of Radiology # or some other ways which i don,t know????

your reply is realy appreciated

should u do usmle to be accepted in fellowship
You would certainly need USMLE. These are clinical fellowships and you must be licensed as a physician to start the first day of work.

is it self paied or u r going to be paid?

You are salaried.

is there any other route that a radiologist(forign graduate)can work in USA?

To work as a foreign trained radiologist in the US, this path to board certification is pretty much the only way. Occasionally, academic radiologists from other countries get faculty appointments at US universities without having to go through all that, but those cases are few and far in between.

many thanks 4 these useful and effective informations